turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwcambpe

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I am missing important tax forms, I want to file for an extension

Don't know how much taxes I paid /owned in order to extent my tax filing

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I am missing important tax forms, I want to file for an extension

You should make a best estimate of what you think you may owe.  Possible ways to estimate include:

• Complete as much of your return(s) through TurboTax and base your estimate from those results.
  • What did you pay last year in federal and state taxes (this may be a good gauge if your income situation hasn't changed much from last year).
  • You can use the IRS tax tables (find your income level and filing status) to see what is typically paid at that level: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf
  • If you overestimate & pay extra tax, the IRS will refund any over-payment.

You'll be able to file an extension thru TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab
  2. Click on the Other Tax Situations subtab
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms 
  4. Select File An Extension

The important thing to remember about extensions is that they only extend your time to file the return.  If you owe money, then the IRS and states expect you to pay by the normal tax deadline -- there's no extension for paying. So if you're filing an extension and you believe you'll owe, then you'll want to mail a check to the IRS or state.  

On the other hand, If you normally receive a refund, and you don't anticipate any change, then you don't need to send payment.

In regard to your state return: Some states will piggyback off the federal extension, so there's no additional state form to file.  Other states require you to submit their own extension forms.  TurboTax will walk you thru the state extension as well as the federal process to ensure you follow the requirements of your state.

If you're curious about your particular state, here's a list of extension requirements by state: https://www.irs.com/articles/state-tax-extension-information

Your extension gives you until October 17, 2017 to file your 2016 federal tax return.

When you're ready to file your return, simply sign in at TurboTax.com or the TurboTax mobile app, click the orange Take me to my return button, and finish your return. (In the CD/download desktop software, just reopen your return and go from there.)

fhg337043

Can I file for an extension?  I just had hip replacement surgery and cannot get upstairs to complete my taxes yet.

fhg337043

I had  hip surgery last week and can't  get upstairs to complete my forms yet.

JulieC14
Expert Alumni

Yes, your extension needs to be filed by 11:59 pm tonight, May 17.  Any payments due would also have to be submitted today. 

In TurboTax Online, take these steps to start the process:  

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online.

2. Select File an extension at the bottom of the column on the left side of the screen.
    • If you don't see the File an extension button in Step 2 above, search for extend in the upper right and select the Jump to link at the top of your search results. 
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension

Plus see more information here:  How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies