Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nasir214

I am a US citizen live in USA, married overseas in July 2019 my spouse has no SSN, unemployed and still living outside US her visa is in process, how to proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

I am a US citizen live in USA, married overseas in July 2019 my spouse has no SSN, unemployed and still living outside US her visa is in process, how to proceed?

You can choose to file married filing jointly or married filing separately.

The easiest way to file for you  is married filing separately.  TurboTax will still ask you for your spouse's SSN or ITIN.  You will need to enter a "dummy" social security number just to be able to  complete and print and mail your return.

You can enter the "dummy" SSN, 305-44-0001.  When you print your return in TurboTax you will need to "white out" the "dummy" SSN and in its place, enter NRA for nonresident alient.

You will not be able to e-file your return.

If you choose to file married filing jointly, you will need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ((ITIN) Form W-7. You would both need to sign a statement attached tot the return indicating the your choose to file married filing jointly and you are both declaring your worldwide income.

W-7 Instructions

W-7 Application for IRS ITIN

Also, see page 9 of US Tax Guide for Aliens

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You can choose to file married filing jointly or married filing separately.

The easiest way to file for you  is married filing separately.  TurboTax will still ask you for your spouse's SSN or ITIN.  You will need to enter a "dummy" social security number just to be able to  complete and print and mail your return.

You can enter the "dummy" SSN, 305-44-0001.  When you print your return in TurboTax you will need to "white out" the "dummy" SSN and in its place, enter NRA for nonresident alient.

You will not be able to e-file your return.

If you choose to file married filing jointly, you will need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ((ITIN) Form W-7. You would both need to sign a statement attached tot the return indicating the your choose to file married filing jointly and you are both declaring your worldwide income.

W-7 Instructions

W-7 Application for IRS ITIN

Also, see page 9 of US Tax Guide for Aliens

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies