Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA and Medicare

Hi,

Background:

I am currently doing my estimated taxes for 2023 using Turbo Tax. I had HSA Contributions made thru Dec 31, 2022, because I had a high-deductible plan at that time. But starting in January 2023, I stopped HSA and in March 2023, I enrolled in Medicare, which was retroactive to July 2022.

So, knowing that HSA and Medicare retroactive dates CANNOT overlap, I withdrew the HSA contribution from July 2022-Dec 2022 as excess HSA contribution and reported it as taxable income on my 2022 Tax form.

Here are my questions for Tax Year 2023:

1. Now for 2023, Turbo Tax is asking if I had a High-deductible plan as on December 1, 2022. Should I answer Yes OR NO - given the fact I had withdrawn the HSA contribution for that date?

2. Turbo Tax is also asking me if I made Excess contribution in Tax year 2022 because it could affect my 2023 Tax Returns. I answered this as NO - again, because I had already withdrawn the excess in 2022 tax year itself and paid taxes in that tax year. Is this a correct answer?

Ps: In the past year, Turbo Tax experts were kind enough to answer my other questions and I am hoping they would do the same with these questions. Happy Holidays and look forward to your answers.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

HSA and Medicare

1. No, because on 12/1/22 you had Medicare.  

2.No, because when you removed them before the deadline, it was as if they were never made.  

HSA and Medicare

Thanks for the prompt answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies