turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ehssa_22

How to solve when I have a duplicate Social Security Number. My tax return has already been submitted using a different email address same SSN.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

How to solve when I have a duplicate Social Security Number. My tax return has already been submitted using a different email address same SSN.

How do you have two SSNs?  If you already filed, what’s your question now?

ehssa_22

My bad. I created another account thinking my stimulus check will be processed quicker if I do it this way. :(

ehssa_22

No, I don't have to SSNs. Duplicate. Same SSN's but two email addresses. When I submit my tax 2019 return again using my main email address it is saying that "I already sent it". Is it going to delay my stimulus check? 

You created two TurboTax accounts with the same SSN,  so far, that’s not a problem.  You filed a tax return with one and a non-filer report with the other?  That should not be a problem because whatever you did second should have been rejected by the IRS.  What did you do and in what order?

You submitted a non-filer report first and then your tax return second?

ehssa_22

Thanks for a quick reply sir. I am glad to know it's okay to use another account.

On April 9, I was preparing my tax return to be submitted. I watched a youtube video regarding how to get the stimulus check quickly using a different account. So I followed her advised. Now, I feel like I am the only one who did not received it. 

I don't think its quick because until now I haven't received it. Or maybe I will get it this week. Anyway, thank you so much! 

ehssa_22

Yes.

ehssa_22

Yes sir. I submitted a non-filer report first and then the tax return second

Well, you shot yourself in the foot on the tax return issue.  The only way to file your tax return now is to print your return, sign it, and mail it to the IRS. You will also need to print and mail any state tax returns. You can only electronically file one document per tax season, by telling the IRS you are a non-filer this year, they are going to reject your tax return as a security precaution. So you have to mail it in.

Unfortunately, the IRS is not processing paper tax returns at this time, due to the coronavirus emergency. When they do start processing paper tax returns again you should expect there to be a large backlog. So if you are expecting a refund from your tax return, you should expect it to be in substantially delayed.

TAKerns27

I don't have two SSN. However, when I click on the "Transmit Returns Now" button it informs me that "... a tax return with the same ssn has already been submitted..." I have NOT submitted my taxes yet... Where do i go from here??

cwebb2000

This happened to me also using Turbotax. I tried to update my info with the IRS last month using their new "Non-filers site in order to attain my stimulus check. But recently when i went to efile my taxes using TurboTax my taxes were rejected do to a "duplicate filing error". My question is,what can i do to fix this and file my taxes? 

Is there a way to let the IRS know what has transpired and lift the error code. Do you thin the IRS realizes this is becoming a problem and may fix it intenrally?

Here is the Turbotax Help site that allowed me to figure out what had happened to me.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-rejections-related-to-incorrect-or-duplic[p...

@cwebb2000 wrote:

This happened to me also using Turbotax. I tried to update my info with the IRS last month using their new "Non-filers site in order to attain my stimulus check. But recently when i went to efile my taxes using TurboTax my taxes were rejected do to a "duplicate filing error". My question is,what can i do to fix this and file my taxes? 

Is there a way to let the IRS know what has transpired and lift the error code. Do you thin the IRS realizes this is becoming a problem and may fix it intenrally?

Here is the Turbotax Help site that allowed me to figure out what had happened to me.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-rejections-related-to-incorrect-or-duplic[p...

A "non-filer" return is an official statement to the IRS that you will not file a tax return this year.  So of course they will block anyone who tries to e-file a tax return in your name, since you already swore you wouldn't, so in their eyes is it likely to be fraud by someone else.   In fact, the IRS web site says right at the top of the page,

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 3.30.15 PM.png

The IRS never handles secure matters over the phone, and they don't take phone calls now anyway.  You need to print your return, sign it, and mail it in.  

There is no procedure now to undo this, to allow you to e-file, and there probably never will be such a procedure.  Just mail your return. 

@TAKerns27 wrote:

I don't have two SSN. However, when I click on the "Transmit Returns Now" button it informs me that "... a tax return with the same ssn has already been submitted..." I have NOT submitted my taxes yet... Where do i go from here??

If you did not submit a tax return with another company, AND you did not submit a non-filer information to get your refund faster, you might be the victim of identity theft.  You need to print and sign and mail your tax returns.  You should check your credit reports for signs of fraud. 

If you did submit a non-filer form to try and get your stimulus payment faster, then that counts as a tax return and you can't e-file twice in one year, so print and mail your tax return now. 

Lmao this just happened to me too!! I wanted my stimulus faster so I filed under non filer as well as gmp tool. Where do we go from here? Just sign it and send it in the mail? Thanks in advance

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies