Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Djszabo
Returning Member

How to fix tax return reject with message of " Please review the "ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt" on Form "1116" in the section "ForeignTaxCreditSource"" redo 1116 dont help

OMG!  You are genius.  This totally worked for me.  My form was using the word "various".  So I changed it to 12/31/20 and it went through.  Obviously a bug either in TT or in the IRS system.  thanks again. 

Djszabo
Returning Member

How to fix tax return reject with message of " Please review the "ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt" on Form "1116" in the section "ForeignTaxCreditSource"" redo 1116 dont help

Thanks to another user -- 

Go into Forms.  Go the Form 1116.  Find your way to Part II.  In the "Country" Column, my application was using the word "various" as more than one date was involved.  I changed that to 12/31/20.  the submission was then successful.   Looks like there is a bug either in TT or in the IRS system where only a date format is being accepted in that field.  Good luck.  

I keep getting the same error no matter how I enter the into.  I have verified that there is a date where there should be.  Only issue I can see is that Turbotax keeps changing the date to 12/31/2020. I see on the form it says Date (mm/dd/yy) which is 2 digit year versus 4 digit year.  I cannot override it to put in a 2 digit year.  I guess I will have to wait and see if there is a future update.

I keep getting this same error message - I am so frustrated! I have had my taxes rejected 5 times because of this problem. I am using the online version, but I've reviewed the PDF of my returns and the date is correct in part II of Form 1116. Last year's Form 1116 also had a 4-digit year and that didn't seem to be a problem.

Any idea when this issue will be fixed? I just want to get this filed and be done with it! 

Djszabo
Returning Member

Try typing in 20 instead of 2021 and let the program change it.  Thats what I did and it finally worked.  Good luck.  

I'm having this problem too and tried re-entering the date a number of times, but it didn't work. My return keeps getting rejected. The date is displaying as 12/31/2020, not 12/31/20 and there's no way to enter the latter format, because Turbotax updates it to the former. Not sure if this matters.

I also just tried to use 12/31/20 but the program said I had to use MM/DD/YYYY format. My return got rejected again.

Does anyone know if/when TurboTax is going to fix this problem? It seems like many of us are affected.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Form 1116 is an experience that has been reported.  It is being worked on, but at this point no further information is available.  Thank you for your patience while we continue to work through this challenging year.

@expattax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I found a report on the IRS.gov site that lists problems importing form 1116. I guess we have to wait for them to fix it. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/Xpath_XML_Errors_Causes_Solutions.xls

How will we know when this problem has been fixed?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Normally, an email is sent to affected accounts but I suggest that you check.  However, we ask that you check back often to determine if your issue is resolved.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It would be nice if form 1116 would be put back into a "not finalized" state like it was with the related foreign income form. That way folks would know before filing that this is being worked on. It would probably also reduce support requests when someone runs into this issue (which seems like will be everyone trying to use the foreign tax credit).

I just tried again and my return got rejected for the same reason, so it is still not resolved. Meanwhile TurboTax has already charged me even though my taxes haven’t been properly filed yet.

I deleted Form 1116 and re-entered everything after the most recent TurboTax update, and it still fails with the same error on eFile. This is a substantial amount of money. Is there any ETA for this so we can plan to file by mail if necessary (and then use another tax package next year)?

(Another thread to watch with a possible solution, though I'd rather not junk the carryover if I can avoid it: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/e-file-rejected-due-to-foreigntaxespaidoraccruedd... )

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies