turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter foreign country name and city in new 2019 tax form for permanent residents?

Hi,

In the new 2019, 1040 tax forms there is a new line added requesting to enter the name of the foreign country along with the city and postal code for non-US citizens. So as a permanent resident (Green Card) how can I enter this information in the tax form, I could not find any place in the process to do so. It is very important that we enter this info. Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

How to enter foreign country name and city in new 2019 tax form for permanent residents?

The foreign address information is only required if your mailing address is in a foreign country. If your mailing address is in the United States you do not need to enter any information on a foreign address. Form 1040 Instructions (page 14)

If you do have a foreign address you would enter this information when you are entering your mailing address in the Personal Information in My Info section when start the return steps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks @KurtL1 for your answer. But I am afraid that there is a new rule from USCIS that requires us to enter that info even if we have US address. Please check the link below and video especially at 0:43 seconds mark.

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41563323/new-green-card-laws-2020 

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

This requirement goes into effect in 2020, which means it will be a requirement on the 2020 tax return that you will file in 2021.  You are not required to provide this information until next year.  

Hi @SusanY1 . Thank you for your response. The rule does affect 2019 taxes being filed in 2020. Please see below form:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

How does one enter the Foreign address name, Foreign province and Foreign postal code while using the TurboTax online process for filing? Hope to hear from you soon.

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

The new tax law requiring you enter your Foreign Address even if you currently have a U.S, Address does not affect you for the 2019 return.

The new law is for tax years beginning after December 31, 2019.

mlakmal

Can someone confirm if this field is editable in turbotax desktop version while editing the form fields manually?

looks like this is mandatory field that needs to be filled starting with 2019 returns.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can edit the field manually in the desktop version of TurboTax.   There is no information in the 2019 1040 Instructions that  green card holders need to do anything different.

However, the 2019 1040 Instructions state that you should enter the foreign address only if you have one. The IRS will send any correspondence to the address on your tax return.   You do not want to enter both your US address and a partial foreign address.

you are right @KarenJ2 , you only fill it if you have a foreign address. I am pretty sure that people whose parents live overseas and use their address for visas when they go home does not count as that address technically do not belong to the taxpayer. 

To be specific, it is clearly mentioned on page 14 of form 1040 instructions to fill it only if you have a foreign address..

Thank you for clarifying though

kkish123

Hi SusanY1

So, this means that we will have take care to fill these details from next year when we file tax returns for 2020 right.

I have already filed the tax returns for year 2019 without knowing these new rules and I believe I need not file the amended returns right.

JMex2020
Returning Member

Does anyone have an update on the new rule for Greencard holders?

Very little information on this new rule.

How can you provide a foreign address if you live in the US full time and have no other address outside of the US? 

Hi! 
Did you figure it out with your question?

Im in same situation, please response if you got any information 🙏

lucioaviles79
Returning Member

@SusanY1 Thank you, is this still applicable? It's been over a year since this reply and i wanted to confirm if there WAS INDEED a rule change that took effect?

Greatly appreciated!

lucioaviles79
Returning Member

@KurtL1  Thank you, is this still applicable? It's been over a year since this reply and i wanted to confirm if there WAS INDEED a rule change that took effect?

Where are you getting the info. from?

Greatly appreciated!

lucioaviles79
Returning Member

@Kaymanov Did you ever hear anything new?

I'm in the same situation! Please advise!

Manage cookies