Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter a foreign address for audit defense?

I'm using the desktop version of TurboTax and finishing up my return. Upon being prompted for my address in order to recieve the audit defense option, I am unable to input my foreign address. As it tells me it must be the address on my return (a foreign address) I see no way around this. Are foreign residents simply ineligible for audit defense or is there a way around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You must have a US credit card with a US billing address.

If you have entered a foreign address in the MY INFO section then here is the workaround ...

1) go back to the MY INFO section and change the address to the same one the US credit card is registered to

2) complete the FILE tab long enough to pay the TT fees

3) return to the address section of the MY INFO tab and put the actual foreign address back

4) complete the FILE tab again all the way until you can transmit the return.

You can change you address in the MY INFO section on the left hand side of your screen in the black area.  Click on Edit next to your address.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Assuming you have a US credit card, the critical question is still:

Does Audit Defense cover people living outside of the United States?

Since the Audit Defense order form "Member Info" step only offers US and Canada in the country dropdown field, does this mean it is NOT valid for overseas tax payers? Who do we contact to find out before purchasing this protection? 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

You may contact Tax Audit Customer Service; contact details can be found here @DavidExpat.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for suggesting I call. Of course it would have been nice to have this information in the Audit Defense FAQ on the TurboTax website 🙂

The representative I talked to on the phone told me that anyone can purchase Audit Defense. And it can be purchased through TurboTax if you have a US address for the credit card billing as you suggested. Or you can purchase it direct from their website as they are a separate partner company. I'm not sure what happens if you list a foreign address on your tax return and a US address on the Audit Defense TurboTax purchase screen. I suggest anyone who is unsure to call the number to get your exact questions answered as I've never used the service personally. Hope this info helps! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies