turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take for IRS to reflect my new mailing address

I have a new mailing address in 2020 tax year (different from 2019).  If I e-file today, how long does it take for IRS to update my new mailing address in their system/database?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

You should complete and mail Form 8822, Change of Address, for the IRS.  This is the official way to change your address.  I'm linking the form below.  By the way, the form is form-fillable.

Form 8822 (Rev. February 2021) (irs.gov)

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Thank you. I already e-filed my taxes for year 2020.  Can I still e-file form 8822 through TurboTax?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

No, this form can only be mailed.  So fill it in, print and sign, then mail to the address that you'll select from page 2.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Thanks for the info.  I was searching today in IRS web, and it stated that, if you include your new mailing address in f1040 when filing, then there is no need to use and mail f8822.   Can you please confirm this?  Thanks

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@gnabboud If you read that on the IRS website, I'd not argue with that.  But it still wouldn't hurt to mail in the Change of Address form, just to be sure.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies