Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How is turbotax calculating the state tax payment amount for NY IT-196 item 5? it should be amounts w'held in 21 total est tax payments actually paid in 21 but isnt.

I have added together state tax withheld in 2021   2020 estimated tax paid in 2021   2021 estimated taxes paid in 2021. Turbotax has come up with a lower number. i didnt include anything related to refunds.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

How is turbotax calculating the state tax payment amount for NY IT-196 item 5? it should be amounts w'held in 21 total est tax payments actually paid in 21 but isnt.

Turbo Tax gets NY IT-196 item 5 from federal Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, line 5.  It includes the amounts from your W2 Box 14 New York Nonoccupational Disability Fund tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thanks. i had included the SDI amount in my calculation. i didnt itemize for federal so dont have a schedule A. The source of difference seems to relate to state estimated taxes for 2020 that i paid in Jan 2021. Turbo tax doesnt seem to be including the full amount that i paid at line 5 in my IT-196. I received a state tax refund for 2020. would turbotax be adjusting the state estimated taxes for 2020 that i paid in Jan 2021 down by a pro-rata share of the state tax refund amount for 2020 before inclusion at line 5 in my IT-196?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies