Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wkatb

How do I report income received from a temporary construction easement and what form does it go on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

How do I report income received from a temporary construction easement and what form does it go on?

You can report this income on line 21 of Schedule 1 (Form 1040) - Additional Income and Adjustments to Income.  You can enter it directly on Schedule 1 by switching to the Forms view and use Open Form (type "schedule 1" into the search box, highlight the form and click "Open Form"). Type a brief description of the income ("Construction easement") and enter the amount.

Is income from a temporary construction easement treated as rental income?  Should it go on Schedule E, with related expenses like a proportional amount of real estate property tax, or directly on Schedule 1?  

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

It depends on the type of income granted, whether it is damages or rental, and taxed as ordinary income or capital gains.

Income you receive for granting easements or rights-of-way on your farm or ranch for flooding land, laying pipelines, constructing electric or telephone lines, etc., may result in income, a reduction in the basis of all or part of your farmland, or both.

Income you received for granting a temporary construction easement is rental income. Report the income as rent on Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040).

Example

You granted a permanent right-of-way for a gas pipeline through your property for $10,000. Only a specific part of your farmland was affected. You reserved the right to continue farming the surface land after the pipe was laid. Treat the payment for the right-of-way in one of the following ways.

1. If the payment is less than the basis properly allocated to the part of your land affected by the right-of-way, reduce the basis by $10,000.
  2. If the payment is equal to or more than the basis of the affected part of your land, reduce the basis to zero and the rest, if any, is gain from a sale. The gain is reported on Form 4797 and is treated as section 1231 gain if you held the land for more than 1 year. See chapter 9.

The contract also contained a provision for a temporary workspace (temporary easement) to allow for the collection of topsoil and for equipment movement. This temporary easement is only for the construction period (usually a period of months). The gain is reported on Form 4797 as ordinary income and does not affect the basis of the land.

Easement contracts usually describe the affected land using square feet. Your basis may be figured per acre. One acre equals 43,560 square feet.

If construction of the pipeline damaged growing crops and you later receive a settlement of $250 for this damage, the $250 is income and is included on Schedule F. It doesn't affect the basis of your land.

Damage payments are intended to compensate the landowner for damages caused by current construction as well as a release for future loss of use and damages to the surface, fences and crops. Payments for current damages may generally be offset against the landowner’s cost basis. The IRS characterizes payments for future damages as a rental and thus ordinary income. The law on taxation of damages is murky and the IRS closely scrutinizes payments for damages.

IRS Publication 225

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply, Victoria. 

Perhaps I should add details and a few follow-up questions to explain the underlying issue and be sure I’m correctly understanding your comments.  Kindly overlook any of this specific information that’s not relevant.

My question does not involve a permanent easement or a rural setting anticipated by IRS Publication 225.  It only involves a temporary construction easement affecting the small front yard of our home in an urban setting. 

Our State is constructing a light rail public transit project along our street that will take several years to complete, perhaps three more years.  No doubt it will take longer than the “period of months” that you mentioned.  During construction,  the State will have access to about 10 percent of our yard and eventually regrade that area to conform to a new street level.  Several of our large trees and a hedge have already been removed.  Other trees and shrubs will follow along with parts of the driveway, sidewalk, etc.   

There is no contract so far, just an offer, covering both use and damage, which we did not accept.  When we did not agree on fair compensation, the State deposited the amount it offered into a Court escrow account. The Court fully distributed that to us plus interest pending the outcome of future proceedings.  We may need to repay some of the principal if the Court eventually decides a lower compensation amount is appropriate.  We did not receive a 1099 for either the principal or interest, although the Court does have a W-9 on file.  

So my specific question boils down to:  How, if at all, should one include income like this in a tax return?   

Do any of the details I’ve added change your comments?  This issue is confusing to me, and I want to do what’s right.

Without a permanent easement,  my impression from your comments is that all of the principal we received needs to be reported as rent in Schedule E (except for the escrow interest reported in Schedule B).  This “rent” includes amounts received for both the use of and the damage to our yard.   (Perhaps an appropriate Schedule E “expense” under these circumstances would be a prorated amount of real estate taxes paid on the part of the yard occupied by the easement?)

If, however, the “current damages” you described refer to temporary easements (as well as permanent ones), is an offset to cost basis required instead of reporting ordinary rent income?  Would that even include current damages to be corrected in future tax years?  How would one even guess the cost basis of an old sidewalk or tree?

I hope this additional information is clear and gives a more complete picture.

Thanks again!

RobertG
Expert Alumni

The best option for you is to treat the payment as a reduction in the basis of your home.

When you sell your home, most or all of the gain will be excluded from tax, so it is likely you will never pay tax on the income.

If you report it as rent, you will have to pay tax on it.

You can't know the cost basis of an old sidewalk or a tree, but it is reasonable to assume that the state is not paying you more than the damage is worth.

Thanks, Robert.  

Yes, this approach certainly would save money.  

I’m wondering what authority you found saying the IRS would allow a payment for a “temporary construction easement” to be excluded from ordinary rental income — assuming there’s no permanent loss — considering, for example, the “easements and rights-of-way” section on page 17 of IRS Publication 225 (2018) that Victoria also summarized? 

That section includes the following:  

“Income you received for granting a temporary construction easement is rental income.  Report the income as rent on Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040).”

Similarly, what authority would one use to exclude the portion of the payment that covers “anticipated future damages“ — considering the examples in IRS Publication 225 (also in Publication 527, if temporary easements are taxed like rental properties)?

So far, unfortunately, the official information I’ve read seems to require reporting all of this as Schedule E rental income, except for the interest.  Maybe I’ve overlooked something addressing temporary construction easements.  If so, kindly let me know the citation(s).  

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Income you received for granting a temporary construction easement is rental income. Report the income as rent on Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040).

Example

You granted a permanent right-of-way for a gas pipeline through your property for $10,000. Only a specific part of your farmland was affected. You reserved the right to continue farming the surface land after the pipe was laid. Treat the payment for the right-of-way in one of the following ways.

1. If the payment is less than the basis properly allocated to the part of your land affected by the right-of-way, reduce the basis by $10,000.
  2. If the payment is equal to or more than the basis of the affected part of your land, reduce the basis to zero and the rest, if any, is gain from a sale. The gain is reported on Form 4797 and is treated as section 1231 gain if you held the land for more than 1 year. See chapter 9.

IRS Publication 225

Yes, I saw that example in Publication 225 and was surprised by the previous recommendation to reduce the basis Instead.  Thanks fir getting back to me.  I’m glad we’re on the same page now.  Thanks again.

If the payment of the easement got a 1099S instead of 1099 Misc and the easement was from the land in Texas but the taxpayer is a resident of California, is this easement taxable in California?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If you are a CA resident, then the proceeds reported on the 1099S are taxable in CA. 

California, like all other states with an income tax, taxes its residents on ALL their income - no matter where it was earned.

@imeldaw

I came across this thread while researching my issue... we received money from the county for a construction project on our property (new sewer line).  According to the appraisal they provided, almost 80% of the compensation was for the "Land Acquired" while the remainder was for the "Temporary Construction Easement".  But we received a 1099-MISC for the entire amount, and from everything I have read, it should have been 1099-S for the land acquired and 1099-MISC only for the temporary easement.  So I'm not sure what to do now - just report the smaller amount as income and hope the IRS doesn't notice the 1099-MISC?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You want to report the 1099-MISC that was received or the IRS will question the discrepancy.

Do you still own the land and still pay property taxes on the land?  Or was there an actual sale of the land and the county now owns the land?

If there was an actual sale of the land, you would report the sale on Schedule D and IRS Form 8949.  If this is where you live, there would be sale of personal home implications.

If you still own the land, the general treatment is that the payment is not income but reduces the basis in the land that you own.  So, if you paid $10,000 for the land and received this right of way payment for $8,000, your new basis in the property is $2,000.

You still have to deal with the 1099 that was reported to the IRS.  Report the income, then immediately report a minus entry for the same amount.  Reference both entries as 'right of way sold - basis adjustment'.

Follow the steps below to report this income that is not reported as self-employment income.

• Select Federal from the left side menu.
  • Click on Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income.  Click Show more.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Miscellaneous income….
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Other reportable income.
  • At the screen Other Taxable Income enter the description of the income.
  • Click Add another Miscellaneous income Item

The income will be listed on line 8z of the Schedule 1 Additional Income and Adjustments to Income and line 8 of the Federal 1040 tax return.

View the entries at Tax Tools / Print Center / Print, save or preview this year's return / Include government and TurboTax worksheets.

[Edited 04/07/2022 3:35 AM PST]

@larson621

Thank you.  We do still own the property - in fact the mortgage lender took some of the easement money to pay off some of the mortgage, so that is a follow up question... but I had also posted my question as a new topic so rather than having 2 discussions please view here if you can help:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed-group/discussion/re-what-do-i-do-if-the-county-sent-...

Hi

When I tried to enter my temp construction  easement payment, I entered a new rental with my home address on it. When I tried to enter the income in, it asked about a 1099 so I entered the income in Box 3, Other Income, which was where the county had entered it.  Turbo tax said they could not accept Rental income listed in Other Income.  Can I just enter it in the Rnet box anyway? Or what do I do?  I don't know if the county would re-do it as rental income.  Please advise me.  Thank you so much

Jackie

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies