Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I only file federal and not state?Under File, step 3,I select "efile",enter DL info,skip review,final screen "transmit my returns now" in orange. Where to change?

Will I have the option to select only Federal AFTER I hit transmit?  I don't see anywhere before that where I can select "change" next to state as the instructions state.  Appreciate the help.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I only file federal and not state?Under File, step 3,I select "efile",enter DL info,skip review,final screen "transmit my returns now" in orange. Where to change?

I had the same problem. Here's what worked for me:

• Go to Review.
  • When you get to the screen titled Just one more step and we'll file your returns select Get ready to save and file your returns.
  • On the next screen (Let’s get ready to e-file) choose File By Mail. (Makes no sense, I know.)
  • Next to your state return on the next screen, select Change then on the following screen I'm not ready to file.
  • The next screen will list just your 2020 Federal return and you can go on to file your Federal return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Please see the following instructions on how to file federal but not state: Can I file my federal taxes now and skip my state for later?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had the same problem. Here's what worked for me:

• Go to Review.
  • When you get to the screen titled Just one more step and we'll file your returns select Get ready to save and file your returns.
  • On the next screen (Let’s get ready to e-file) choose File By Mail. (Makes no sense, I know.)
  • Next to your state return on the next screen, select Change then on the following screen I'm not ready to file.
  • The next screen will list just your 2020 Federal return and you can go on to file your Federal return.

WOW, THANK YOU, it worked!!!

Turbotax REALLY needs to fix that, they should give you the option to change  that on both Efile and File by Mail, not just file by mail.  I can't believe I didn't find more info on this when I searched for an answer.

Glad it helped! I was super frustrated, but found a great CS rep named Dorien who figured it out.

J_Ro
Level 2

wow thanks for this!  i was utterly boggled.  the in-site "help" 🙄 finally pulled up this community post after falling repeatedly on its face🤕 while failing to give me the correct instructions.  i couldn't actually read the answer tho, had to find this community, log-in, and search for the post manually... but anyway

big thanks to both of you!

Thank you so much for asking this question!!!! I was having the same issue.  

I can't thank you enough for answering this question!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies