turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I import my tax documents from Robinhood? I cannot find the place to input the information to import it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

How do I import my tax documents from Robinhood? I cannot find the place to input the information to import it.

Please read the TurboTax FAQ for more information how to import your 1099 (TurboTax Partner program) https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3389470

I typed in my account number and the document ID but keep getting error messages.  Has anyone been able to import the date to turbotax?

If you are receiving an error message, it is most likely due to the amount of pages you are trying to import. This is common amongst all tax programs and many people are experiencing this roadblock. 

For S/T & L/T Gains/<Losses>:

A simple fix to this is, If you are able to extract your year end statement and it provides you with totals of S/T vs. L/T transactions (you might even have 4 different categories on your statement - depending on if basis was/was not reported to the IRS, so be sure to not miss any sections of the statement), you should separate them out yourself on a spreadsheet, tally up the information for each category of transaction, and enter as such. This is, making sure, of course, that the firm you use is providing you with cost basis and sales price as well as #shs per transaction.

You can also extract to Excel, but that takes more work than step one. What the IRS is looking for is the following:

1. Net S/T Capital Gains/<Losses> , based on purchase date, cost basis, sale date, and proceeds
2. Net L/T Capital Gains/<losses>, based on purchase date, cost basis, sale date, and proceeds

In short, each section of your statement that has a total that states "Has Been Reported to the IRS", will be treated as one transaction for taxability purposes. So, if you have 1, 2, 3, or 4 of these totals lines, then that would be the corresponding number of transactions you will have. Make sure that you do not include any section that starts with "Transactions NOT Reported to the IRS" as these are categorized already by your brokerage firm for you as non-reportable pieces of information.

ALSO, make sure you do not miss any dividend and interest income, Foreign Income Taxes Paid, etc., if your statement is all you rely on to report your information to the IRS. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies