turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file a 1099 MISC for workers i.e. Independent Contractors that do not have social security numbers?

We have paid these workers a lot this year, so I am anxious about what to file.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

How do I file a 1099 MISC for workers i.e. Independent Contractors that do not have social security numbers?

If you do not have the Social Security Number by the filing deadline, leave the identification number box empty, but still submit the report to the IRS.

The IRS will send a notice stating that the number is missing, and this must be sent along with a backup withholding notice and W-9 form to the subcontractor. It notifies the subcontractor that they will be subject to withholding until the identification number is submitted.

While the individual or business can be subject to a penalty for refusing to provide an SSN or EIN, you also can be subject to a penalty for not submitting fully completed forms by the deadline.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AlanT222 Hello AlanT222, and thank you for getting back to me. One more question, do I need to snail-mail file these 1099 MISC's seems how I cannot e-file them without a social security number for the recipient?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If the forms (1099-MISC AND 1096) cannot be e-filed, mail them.

Use Express mail or some other expedited manner of sending them. They were due January 31st. 

A copy of the 1099-MISC goes to the contractor, a copy is retained by you with your business files and a copy is submitted with a 1096 to the IRS. 

Form 1096

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies