Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter information for 2 different school district taxes both are earned income school districts? We only live in 1 of them.

The money is being pulled from our paychecks for the school district that we work in but the form makes it seem like we should get a refund. We should NOT
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

How do I enter information for 2 different school district taxes both are earned income school districts? We only live in 1 of them.

Your question is not specific enough to answer your question, however, I am providing generic information based on your question.

Normally, you only pay school district tax return for the city that you live in. Unlike the various city income taxes that apply to both your work city and residence city, the school district tax is only imposed on residents. Only certain school districts in impose this tax on their residents . 

If your employer withheld school district tax for your non-resident city, you can file to receive a refund of those taxes.

TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a School District return, you must initiate it. scroll down to School District taxes. -Scroll down to School District taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We want to be as specific as possible.  My wife and I file a joint return and itemize.

1) We jointly own a property that has a 4201 school tax.

2) We paid estimated taxes to SD 4201 of $1410 in 2021.

3) My wife owns a condo in school district 2102 but did not reside there in 2021.

4) We paid estimated taxes to SD 2102 of $1875 in 2021.

We could only find one area to enter school district taxes on the federal return.  That was "2021 Locality Estimated Payments" under "school district tax, OH".  We can find no way to distinguish between the two different school districts. 

Turbo Tax will NOT let us enter the amounts separately and indicates it has to come from a W2.  We are both retired so that seems impossible.  That's why we paid Ohio school tax estimates to BOTH districts during 2021 to avoid underpayment penalties.

So, how can we handle this?

Thank you.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@ANDYROBIN1981  TurboTax is not set up to help you prepare multiple SD100s so you will have to trick it into it.

Enter SD4201 into the federal return.  Go through the entire return process as though you were only filing one school district return.

After you have completed everything then go back in the federal return and change the school district.  This should have no effect on anything except the SD100 form.

Change your estimated payment and print out and mail the second school district return.

THANK YOU!

Joe198

This is no longer viable, I have waited till the deadline and I did not realize that the literal software would not be able to handle such a simple thing as adding 2 different school districts, I want to commit die.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You are posting on an old thread. We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies