turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

How can I recover all information from possible fraud?

Suggnificant other possily stole all my information
Connect with an expert
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How can I recover all information from possible fraud?

Contact law enforcement or an attorney.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

How can I recover all information from possible fraud?

What to Do


Credit Agencies

1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.

  • Equifax: equifax.com
  • Experian: experian.com
  • TransUnion: transunion.com

2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last

four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.

3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened


4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any

fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.

5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers

and destroy any old cards.

6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six

months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.

7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your

credit report.


Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

1) Report the crime to the FTC to establish an Identity Theft Affidavit.

Identity Theft Victim’s Complaint and Affidavit.


Local Police

1)Report the crime to your local police or sheriff’s department. Make

sure to prompt as much documented evidence as possible.

2)Verify that the report lists the fraudulent accounts and keep a copy

of the report.


Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

1) Contact the IRS to report the theft. This will alert them to any claim

for refund or other activity on your account. File IRS Form 14039,

Identify Theft Affidavit.


State Tax Agency

1) Contact your state tax agency to report the theft. Some agencies

may require a police report and/or the IRS affidavit.


Other Agencies and Organizations

1) U.S. mail fraud: Contact your local postal inspector.

  • Online: postalinspectors.uspis.gov
  • Phone: 800.275.8777

2) Social Security number misuse — non-IRS issues:

-Check your earnings record to make sure no one is using your SSN

to obtain work. Call your local Social Security Administration (SSA)

office if something looks inaccurate.

-Contact the SSA Inspector General to report Social Security benefit

fraud, employment fraud, or welfare fraud.

  • Online reporting resources:

- socialsecurity.gov/oig

- Fraud Reporting Form

  • SSA fraud hotline: 800.269.0271
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies