turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I print and mail in an already prepared 2016 return if the CD isn't working?

The reason many people recommend to send them separately is because some low-level IRS clerk may staple them all together as one return, or pages may get shuffled or lost.  There's less chance of something getting sidetracked at the IRS if sent separately.

There's not much advantage to sending them by a private delivery service (FedEx, UPS, etc.) since you are not under a tight deadline, and since you are due a refund rather than paying taxes due.   Private delivery service would more commonly be used at the last minute when an IRS deadline is imminent in the next couple of days.

Regardless of how you send them, it's still going to take the IRS about 6 weeks to normally process a paper return, so expedited delivery of 2-3 days is not going to make much difference.   By the way, that 6 week estimate is if everything processes normally.  The IRS can always pull a return for additional review and processing, which can take longer.

It's up to you to decide how much money you want to spend sending them, and which method you trust the most.  With 6 separate returns to send, it can add up quickly.

I normally use US postal mail--specifically certified mail with return receipt--addressed to the designated IRS postal mailing address for your state.  The state returns go to the state tax agency.   That method gets better handling by the Post Office and special attention than regular US mail.  And it includes tracking, proof of mailing date, etc.  It will still cost a fair amount for 6 separate packets, but I suspect less than FedEx/UPS, etc.  You'll have to check.

lydiasuba

How can I print and mail in an already prepared 2016 return if the CD isn't working?

I want to print my 2019 return I am still working on. download and print is not working

@lydiasuba wrote:

I want to print my 2019 return I am still working on. download and print is not working

More information is needed.   

If your return is still in progress, have you paid for it yet (if using a paid edition)?

Why are you printing the in-progress return--to review prior to filing or printing to file by mail?

We can tell you how to print from the Print Center inside the return. 

Does TurboTax think you were finished, so your return interview is closed, and you need to know how to open it back up?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies