Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How Can I eFile Federal & Then Work On State?

TT Deluxe Cd/Download Windows and thank you for any help.

TT has approved my Federal return and I want to eFile it now. My Montana State software is causing problems so I want to submit my Federal return via eFiling, have it accepted by the IRS and then go back to working on my State return. How do I eFile Federal now ?

My Itemized Deductions did not flow to my State return even though 1040 Schedule A is in the FORMS list and State Form 2 - Pg. 7 shows all the allocations for Itemized Deductions Schedule. The software tells me to go back into Federal and itemize  but I did it weeks ago! Before this glitch messes up Federal, I want to send it on it’s way to the IRS. It took five weeks to get TT to approve it. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

After your return has been reviewed for any errors, go to the File section. 

You can then choose to electronically file your Federal return.  Your state return will be there as an option too.  For the state, select either 'file by mail' or 'do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later'.  Either of those choices for the state will prevent it from being electronically filed with the Federal return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

After your return has been reviewed for any errors, go to the File section. 

You can then choose to electronically file your Federal return.  Your state return will be there as an option too.  For the state, select either 'file by mail' or 'do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later'.  Either of those choices for the state will prevent it from being electronically filed with the Federal return.  

Thank you for your help. I want to get my TT approved Federal on my PC Deluxe eFiled first.  My State software is not recognizing the itemized deductions on 1040 Schedule A even though there is already a Montana State Form 2 - Pg. 7 Itemized Deductions FORM sitting there, too. State wants me to go back to Federal and itemize!!!

Thanks again. I could literally walk five blocks down the hill from my house and hand my Montana state return to the Montana Department of Revenue if the dang software would just work! 

I carefully followed your instructions to eFile only my Federal return. I checked the box saying I did not want to eFile State, that I would do it later. Before I sent the eFile I went back and that State box had changed back to default so again I checked that I did not want to eFile State, I’ll do it later. I haven’t even been able to finish State nor has it been approved through TT State Review. 

My Federal eFile went through so I am awaiting IRS approval and then I printed out my Federal return and the return printed out along with Montana 2020 State Return, the Montana quarterly estimated payment vouchers and all. This Montana state software is screwed up completely. I have not even solved the problem of getting TT state software to recognize my Itemized Deductions yet. It’s just crazy to spend 2 weeks on State and now this. 

I eFile'd my Federal tax return.  Now I want to efile the state tax return a week later, however, no where do I see where I can efile the state tax return from TT.  Does this mean I can no longer efile the state return?

Don 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

No. For information on how to e-file your state return after you've filed your federal, please visit the Help Article below. @dsachnoff

How do I e-file my state return after I file my federal return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies