turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I avoid efile rejection on my joint return with my husband who died in 2020? I'm getting an error message that his SSN is frozen.

I tried making myself primary and still rejected.  I tried filing 1030 and still rejected.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

How can I avoid efile rejection on my joint return with my husband who died in 2020? I'm getting an error message that his SSN is frozen.

When you file a tax return for a taxpayer who died during the tax year, you must report them as "deceased" during the year and enter their "date of death".  The Social Security Administration would update the IRS database with the death of a taxpayer and IRS would expect to see the death also reported on the decedent's final income tax return (This is where the SSA would freeze his ssn).

IRS will be looking for that information in order for your return filer information to match the IRS database of taxpayers.

IRS states that you should be able to e-file a decedent return, but you must enter the information for that

The form 1310 is not required to be filed by a surviving spouse with the joint return unless they are only using it to request a reissuance of a refund check originally received in the name of both the decedent and the surviving spouse. 

Using the Form 1310 when it is not needed could cause the return to reject at IRS.  Delete it from the return and try to file without it.

By filing the joint return and entering the decedent's date of death, you should receive the refund check only in the name of the surviving spouse.  

Thanks for the insights.  I removed the 1310 and confirmed the date of death was input in the personal information.  Unfortunately, it was still rejected.  I welcome any other ideas.   

S533

I am having the same issue. I put my info in as primary, date of my husband's death. The AGI entered is correct, but it still comes back as rejected? Any other suggestions or do I need to file by mail?

I just got off the phone with SSA and was told my only option is to paper file.  Not what I wanted to hear given I’m still waiting for 2019 refund over a year later.  

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes. Unfortunately, paper filing would be the next option available. We are sorry for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is no way to avoid e-file rejection.  E-filing the tax return is not an option, it must be mailed. Print the return, attach required forms if applicable (i.e. W-2's, 1099-R's), and mail it to IRS. "File by Mail instructions for your and your late husband's joint 2020 Federal Tax Return" is generated when the return is printed.  ... Hope this information is helpful. I, too, lost my husband in 2020, e-filed joint return (Filing as surviving spouse) and experienced 3 rejections before learning the return must be mailed. 

I tried repeatedly to file and ran into this same issue. My father passed away last year and I was trying to file their return for 2020. Came across another thread related to 2019 filings in the forum that referenced FreeTaxUSA as the only vendor to successfully submit an efile, others had claimed H&R Block also rejected their repeated efiles. I did not want to force my mom to have to deal with signing and sending in a bunch of forms, so in the middle of the night, I decided to hop over and try to refile with FreeTaxUSA. Note that I did that only after looking up reputable reviews, https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/freetaxusa-2021-tax-year-2020 .  I've been using TurboTax for over 10 years, I am not happy that they can't figure this issue out. Particularly in light of the fact that the cost for additional states increases every year. It was a heckuva lot cheaper for the other vendor even with two states and the federal efile. Granted, I doubt that I would feel crazy about doing a complex return without the brand name recognition, but in their FAQ they claim to have filed over 43 million returns.  Regardless, if it simplifies my mom's life for filing and saved me money in the process, I can't complain. TurboTax needs to step up its game. I have been paying a larger and larger premium every year and this kind of thing is unacceptable. Good luck to anyone dealing with a similar situation, I know it is frustrating.  

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I'm sorry for your loss.

The Social Security Administration will freeze the SSN of a person who has died to prevent fraud.  Once they do this it is  not possible to e-file a tax return that includes a deceased spouse.  Print your return and file by mail.  Don't forget to also print and mail your state return. 

This is the TT bug that will not die. You do NOT need to submit a paper copy unless you are determined to use TT.

In this situation TT incorrectly submits your AGI to the IRS, which results in a rejection.

HR Block has the same bug. FreeTaxUSA does not. I used the latter after my TT return was rejected, and my return was accepted within minutes.

Some people have had luck entering 0 for the AGI, but many, including me, have just had to switch to another program.

"The Social Security Administration will freeze the SSN of a person who has died to prevent fraud.  Once they do this it is  not possible to e-file a tax return that includes a deceased spouse. "

I guarantee this is not your problem if your spouse died during the tax year of the return submitted for processing.  For example, if your spouse died in 2021, the number will not be locked until 2023 or later. This allows survivors time to settle the estate and meet any related tax obligations.

You are incorrect. IRS just rejected my mom's 2021 joint return for a 2021 death with all death information entered correctly in TurboTax. Her return last year was also stuck for months because of it. Filed before death. Used paper last year. Received refund in October!

This is ridiculous since they took over 8 months to process my mother's paper return last year. TurboTax should be very explicit that efile cannot be used for a death return. I feel I've added insult to injury by and wasted so much of my mothers time having her use TurboTax and efile. Only to find out she had to use paper anyway. She completed the paper returns faster than using Turboxtax and got them correct.

Thank you. Now wondering if this is why my state no longer uses TurboTax for free efiles for eligible residents. Will give it a try.

Your mother's tax return was not rejected because of a 2021 death. The problem (which TT will neither fix nor acknowledge) is that TT incorrectly transmits the AGI info in this situation, resulting in a rejection. 

You can either file a paper copy or use a different tax program to efile. HR Block has the same bug, but others can do the job. I can't stand filing by snail mail, so I switched to FreeTaxUSA, and my tax return with the exact same info as the TT return was accepted within minutes.

If you search this forum, you will find many people filing for a deceased person having this same problem and using the same solution. Most of these other programs are free: Give them try.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies