turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home loan qualification for self-employed income, trying to pay less taxes and keep income high for lender?

I am self-employed, and am looking for a mortgage loan next year. I need to figure out how lenders will be underwriting my qualifications/income. From what I understand, self-employed borrowers will generally have to qualify using schedule c's AND 1040's? So, how should I minimize taxes without it degrading all my income for the underwriters' sake?

I have run into a few articles pertaining to what types of schedule c expenses can be added back into my income for qualification ability, and also personal return deductions impact on eligibility. I need help figuring out what these are.

For Schedule C -

Can depreciable assets or assets that you've marked for depreciation on your self-employed business income be added back into the income?

Can home office expenses, such as rent I paid for my apartment and utilities, that I used as a home office expense for my business be added back into my income when qualifying for a mortgage loan?

I have a couple of one time operating costs for my sole proprietorship such as a logo design for my business, can this type of expense also be added back onto my net income?

For my 1040 -

If I take the federal standardized deduction on my personal federal tax return, that deduction reduces my taxable income? Will that deduction reduce my home buying power since it lowers my personal taxable income? If this negatively impacts it, do I have to take this deduction, or can I itemize as 0?

I am contemplating on making a contribution to an IRA account, can that money be added back into income and/or mortgage income qualification?

If I plan on being very aggressive with personal tax deductions, will this also lower my mortgage qualification ability?

Thanks for your help!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Home loan qualification for self-employed income, trying to pay less taxes and keep income high for lender?

You are asking very good questions, but as mortgage qualification questions, they are best directed to your lender .

There is a relatively good chance that depreciation, being a non cash outlay, could be added back to your gross business income.

See the enclosed TurboTax article to view your possible qualified business expenses.

See Reporting Self Employment Business Income and Deductions

Quote; "Can depreciable assets or assets that you've marked for depreciation on your self-employed business income be added back into the income?"

No. Depreciation is a normal cost of doing business. You can not recapture any depreciation until the business asset is sold. Then that is taxable income.

Any banker that reviews your income tax records will expect to see a standard deduction or an itemized deduction. In other words, taking the standard or itemized deduction will not lower credit score or decrease your chance of getting a loan approval. You will just be paying too much income tax.

You should include all your income and all of your expenses. Nothing could be worse than qualifying for a loan you can not afford. Generally, if your profits go up, so does your tax liability.

Yeas ago, when I was in the mortgage business, it was not at all uncommon for an underwriter to add back depreciation to net income for underwriting purposes on the theory that it is a non cash outlay.

I guess that makes sense especially if you use accelerated depreciation. I am certainly no loan expert. Thanks @TurboTaxVinceL
MtgUwSME

I have been employed in the mortgage industry for 27 years, primarily in the areas of underwriting, sales, credit risk and credit policy. I currently work for a major banking institution that provides residential mortgage financing including Conventional (Conforming, Nonconforming), Government (FHA, VA) and affordable housing products. For clarity, the underwriter of record is charged with determining what amount of income is acceptable and appropriate for use under his/her financial institution's published policy requirements, this is not determined by the borrower (you). Each financial institution does have their own credit policy and underwriting requirements, not all institutions have the same requirements -  in general, they are determined by the institution's current risk appetite and contracts with its investors/what the investors will/will not allow. The information that I am sharing with you is based upon my history in underwriting and with the banking institution that I am currently employed by, it is in no way to be construed as a means of obtaining loan approval as only the designated underwriter assigned to your loan may make that determination.

I can tell you that if you file Sched C, depreciation claimed on Line 13 (page 1) is considered to be a paper loss, not an actual expense, therefore it may be considered for add-back to the net income reflected on Line 31. Business use of home (Line 30) is also a paper loss, not an actual expense, therefore it may also be added back to 'true-up' the net income. Non-recurring expenses (if they can be proven/documented as such) may be added back, non-recurring income must be deducted. 50% of the meals & entertainment expense must also be added back as only 50% of the full expense is included in the business cash flow. When determining qualifying income, we must account for 100% of the expense; the 50% the IRS allows you to exclude is something the IRS allows, it does not apply to mortgage underwriting. Thanks to Dodd/Frank, underwriters must determine your ability to repay (ATR or QM, depending upon the product type) which includes 'hitting' you with (or 'including') the full debt burden as in reality, you are responsible for 100% of those expenses regardless of IRS tax rules.

With a Sched C business, contributions you make to a SEP, IRA, KEOGH or other business retirement plans comes out of your net earnings after they have been paid to you, they are not pre-tax contributions like you would see with a Corporation or SCorp, therefore these contributions would not impact the Net Income reported on Line 31/Sched C or the amount of qualifying income that may be considered for use. These contributions are listed on the 1040 to allow minimization of your gross taxable income, they do not impact the actual net income declared on Sched C as they are not included in the business cash flow as an expense item. If you had incorporated and your business made contributions to a SEP/401K/Deferred Comp plan, etc...an uw could consider adding back that expense to 'true-up' the net profit/K1 Ordinary Business Income provided there aren't any penalties for not making future contributions and there wasn't a required amount that had to be contributed to the retirement plan.

Expenses claimed on Sched C for rent, utilities, etc...are actual expenses claimed by the business. As these are actual expenses, they cannot be added back. You have to keep in mind that what may be claimed as a tax write-off generally works against you when trying to qualify for financing. Basically, you cannot have the benefit of the write-off (the 'cake') and be allowed to ignore those expenses by saying they're 'non-business related' ('eating it, too'). Once the sin has been committed, you cannot take it back. Now, if your business paid your auto loan/lease payments for at least 12 months, the expense was included in the business cash flow as an expense item (Line 20a) and your business bank statements reflect the business paid the payment for each of the previous 12 mos (prior to your loan application date), the uw may consider exclusion of that debt payment from your personal liabilities total and DTI (debt-to-income) ratio. This may be considered for other personal liabilities that are included in your DTI calculation that have been paid by the business. Utilities are not included in the DTI calculation. Items reflected on your credit report, your housing payment (i.e. rent or mortgages for properties owned and retained) and any other debts you are contractually liable for repaying are what must be included in your DTI calculation. Discretionary debt (insurance, gym memberships, utilities, day care, etc...things you can elect to stop paying at any time without repercussion/that you are not under contract to repay) are generally not included in your DTI calculation. Again, each financial institution has its own rules/policies therefore this may vary depending upon where you submit your loan application request. I've gone off on a tangent, back to your Schedule C/income questions...

Standard or itemized deductions taken on the 1040 do not impact your qualifying income. The uw extracts the income from Sched C, prior to application of additional, allowable tax deductions. Generally, the uw starts with the Net Profit/Line 31, then adds back Depreciation (Line 13), Depletion (Line 12) and Business Use of Home (Line 30) which are paper losses (not actual expenses or losses) and any documented non-recurring expense items, then subtracts the Meals & Entertainment expense (50% claimed on Line 24b, the other 50% must be deducted to account for 100% of the expense in the business cash flow), non-recurring income (Line 6) to arrive at the adjusted Net Income figure. If net earnings have been stable to moderately increasing YOY for the most recent 2 tax years presented, the uw will run this calculation for both tax years, using a 24 month average of the net income. If the earnings trend reflects a decline in the most recent tax year filed (i.e. 2018) and the YTD P&L (2019)reflects that earnings have returned to levels realized in the oldest tax year (2017), the uw will use a 12 mo average of 2018 as that is the worst-case scenario aka 'most conservative approach'. YTD P&L income is rarely included in the calculation as those numbers have not been sufficiently verified (the income hasn't been declared to the IRS yet); use of earnings increases on the YTD P&L are not considered to be supported, thus eligible for use, until the final figures have been declared via that years' tax filing. If the YTD P&L reflects a declining income trend, earnings realized in the previous 2 tax years is no longer being earned by the business therefore, when this is the case, the uw must use an average of the YTD P&L earnings as that is what is realistic for the business at the present time and is the worst-case scenario/most conservative approach. An uw cannot use income to qualify you for financing when that income is no longer being earned.

I hope this information gives you a little more insight into how the Sched C income calculation works.

knevith1

First of all, thanks so much for the detailed explanation! I have a related question that is probably going to sound ridiculous to someone as knowledgeable about this stuff as you, but I'm hoping you can provide some insight. Does the new Pass-Through Tax Deduction decrease income for the dti ratio from the perspective of the underwriter when a landlord utilizes it, or is that also viewed as a paper deduction that can be "added back?" Thanks! 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

We can't speak from the perspective of an underwriter.They have their own rules, regulations, and guidelines that they have to follow. We cannot comment on how they would treat this because this an out of scope issue for us to comment on.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can the mortgage underwriter use the mileage on the form 4562? Or does in need to be on the schedule C part IV? Because since we claimed depreciation for other things it forces us to do a form 4562 so it lists it on there and not the part IV of C

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Did you claim mileage or actual expenses? If you claimed mileage, it should be in part 4 of schedule C. i don't see where this is a issue unless you listed your car and an asset to be depreciated. You may wish to contact phone support to a Live CPA to correct this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cmr795

Thank you so much!!! I can’t thank you enough! The depreciation on my car under section 179 is a large amount but I need to take it. Knowing that this and home expenses  will all be added back is great to know!! 

Thank you for the info you posted...we are self-employed schedule C...having trouble getting mortgage qualified because of low AGI thanks to Standard Mileage deductions and Depreciation on our cars...we were told, these deductions cannot be added back to AG income at all...live in Denver CO. Can you advice? Thanks

The IRS requires you to claim ALL your income and expenses on your return no matter what the end result will be ... leaving out deductions on a Sch C is not an option.   If you want to show more income for a mortgage then make more money since filing a false tax return is called  income tax fraud which is a federal offence.  

@superuberdriver wrote:

Thank you for the info you posted...we are self-employed schedule C...having trouble getting mortgage qualified because of low AGI thanks to Standard Mileage deductions and Depreciation on our cars...we were told, these deductions cannot be added back to AG income at all...live in Denver CO. Can you advice? Thanks

How the lender views the information is up to them.  A good underwriter can consider your PNL statement and cash flow as well as your tax return, since the mileage rate method is often a money-maker.  You may need to look at other banks and mortgage brokers.  But your tax return needs to report your accurate income and expenses.  

I am in this situation now. I claimed depreciation on ONE of my three vehicles, so Turbo Tax listed mileage for all 3 of my vehicles on the form 4562, NOT on Schedule C part IV. Two different underwriters have told me they cannot credit any of that mileage back because it is not on the Svhedule C. This doesn't seem like something that can be "corrected", because the Schedule C clearly states NOT to put vehicle mileage on Section IV if you have to file a form 4562. I'm baffled that this filing instruction could be preventing thousands of self employed individuals who claim business mileage deduction and ANY depreciation from being able to credit their business mileage back for income qualifications on a mortgage. Anyone found a way through this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies