turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello my name is emiley

hi. I started a new job last month, on the new w-4 I am not married or do not have 2 jobs. So I skipped the 1st part and filled out the rest, I am filing H-O-H and claiming 2 dependents. But no regular federal tax has been withheld. Only fed ss and fed Medicare. I asked my employer about it they said I need to see a tax expert and find out if I'm filing right. What am I doing wrong ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WendyS
Employee Tax Expert

Hello my name is emiley

Hi Emiley!

First, I just want to say congratulations on the new job!!

The IRS tax withholding estimator is an extremely useful tool to calculate your potential tax liability for the year. It takes in to account all of your income (from all sources), filing status, deductions and credits (such as child tax credits for dependents you mentioned).  I highly recommend you use this tool.  Once you use the estimator tool, you can make a determination if you should have extra withholding on your W-4.  

The IRS tax withholding estimator tool can be found on the IRS website at:  https://apps.irs.gov/app/tax-withholding-estimator/income-and-withholding/ 

You will begin by clicking on the blue button, Use the Tax Withholding Estimator, which will guide you through a series of question about your specific tax situation.   Please be sure to answer all questions related to your specific tax situation when using the estimator in order to receive the most complete results.

Please note that if you had a previous job earlier in the year and you replaced it with your new job you started last month, you will need to enter 2 jobs in the estimator tool. (not on the W-4).  The tool will prompt you to enter the dates for each job, so you can put the start and end dates, as well as earnings and withholdings from each job.

Based on the results of the estimator, you may need to complete step 4 of the W-4 for extra withholding.  For your convenience, I am including a link to the 2021 W-4 as well. The W-4 is located at  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hello my name is emiley

For 2020 the standard deduction was $18,650 Head of Household (probably slightly more for 2021) so your income has probably not crossed the threshold to require withholding.   Your employer does the withholding so they should be able to tell you (the person you asked probably does not do their payroll).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Hello my name is emiley

Should I change to single would that make difference? Or wait it out ? I don't want to owe.

WendyS
Employee Tax Expert

Hello my name is emiley

Hi Emiley!

First, I just want to say congratulations on the new job!!

The IRS tax withholding estimator is an extremely useful tool to calculate your potential tax liability for the year. It takes in to account all of your income (from all sources), filing status, deductions and credits (such as child tax credits for dependents you mentioned).  I highly recommend you use this tool.  Once you use the estimator tool, you can make a determination if you should have extra withholding on your W-4.  

The IRS tax withholding estimator tool can be found on the IRS website at:  https://apps.irs.gov/app/tax-withholding-estimator/income-and-withholding/ 

You will begin by clicking on the blue button, Use the Tax Withholding Estimator, which will guide you through a series of question about your specific tax situation.   Please be sure to answer all questions related to your specific tax situation when using the estimator in order to receive the most complete results.

Please note that if you had a previous job earlier in the year and you replaced it with your new job you started last month, you will need to enter 2 jobs in the estimator tool. (not on the W-4).  The tool will prompt you to enter the dates for each job, so you can put the start and end dates, as well as earnings and withholdings from each job.

Based on the results of the estimator, you may need to complete step 4 of the W-4 for extra withholding.  For your convenience, I am including a link to the 2021 W-4 as well. The W-4 is located at  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Hello my name is emiley

Thank you ! I understand NOTHING about taxes lol. I was at 1 job 2015-2020 and everything was always the same for me. Until now. 

WendyS
Employee Tax Expert

Hello my name is emiley

Emiley,

Just use the tool above and enter your information. It is user friendly and will guide you along.  You've got this!!

Hello my name is emiley

TurboTax has a free withholding calculator. The TurboTax W-4 Withholding Calculator is better than the IRS calculator because:

1. The calculator allows you to adjust your anticipated refund
  2. It shows you exactly what numbers to put on Form W-4.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies