turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msdshbn
Returning Member

Hello, I purchased Turbotax 2021 last year and every time I want to start it the program tries to update itself but it fails. Please help me with this upgrade.

Turbotax 2021 update fails.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Hello, I purchased Turbotax 2021 last year and every time I want to start it the program tries to update itself but it fails. Please help me with this upgrade.

do you get an error message? if so what is it?

does your computer meet the minimum system requirements for installing and using the desktop app?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/tta-system-requirements 

you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling but that will present a problem if you no longer have the license code.

TurboTax 2021 is the current version and is used to prepare a 2021 return.    Did you only recently install it, and having trouble with your first launch of the program?   Or had you been running the program OK previously, but now it's trying to install an update that fails?

Did you install it from a 2021 CD or from a downloaded installation file?    And are you referring to the Windows version or the Mac version?

If there's an updating issue, and if you are using the Windows version, you can try installing a manual update:

FAQ:  Manual update for TurboTax for Windows personal tax products:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/update-products/manually-update-turbotax...

msdshbn
Returning Member

Thanks for your prompt response. 

The OS is Windows 11 and I purchased Turbotax last year. Every time that I started Turbotax this year it tried to update itself and then failed. I now need to seriously run it to complete my tax return as the time is running out.

I used the link you provided and downloaded the update and ran it successfully. Then I tried to run Turbotax again and at the beginning it wants to check for updates again. I think if I allow it to check for update it will fail again. Could you please advise what the next step needs to be. 

(I guess if I installed the latest version manually there is no need for another update)

Many thanks,

Massoud

does the program crash after the update fails or does it open

if you can get to the opening screen

at the top there should  "file" "online" "help" 

click on online

click on updater preferences

switch to "ask me  before getting updates" 

choosing this option may void the accuracy guarantee

if you can't get there you'll need to contact support.

msdshbn
Returning Member

Thank you. After a number of attempt I could finally interrupt the update and get to the program window. I changed the setting to not auto-update at startup. I also checked the history of updates and there are several successful update downloads but no successful installation. The software is actually the original version that I purchased last year and has no updates. 

I am wondering if this version is flawless and ok to be used.

msdshbn
Returning Member

Just checked the version of Turbotax and it is [phone number removed].

msdshbn
Returning Member

021   000   0701 

msdshbn
Returning Member

I was wondering if the above version is the latest version of Turbotax 2021?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies