turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Got error if form 1040, primary claim as a dependent is not checked then the primary ssn must not be the same as a dependent ssn on another return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Got error if form 1040, primary claim as a dependent is not checked then the primary ssn must not be the same as a dependent ssn on another return.

It means you were claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  For you to file, you will either have to check the box on the screen that someone can claim you as a dependent or you will have to mail in your return if you want it to be accepted.  You cannot file as an independent electronically this year because someone claimed you, whether they did so correctly or not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Aliwags09

How do I correct this on my turbo tax filing?

Aliwags09

How do I go back on my turbo tax forms to check that box. Turbo tax is doing my taxes so I’m not actually filling out a 1040 myself. If I check this box will it change my return amount? Thank you!

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax is self-preparation software. You are actually completing the return through your entries. To change your dependent information, go to the My Info menu. Click Edit to the right of your name. Scroll down until you see Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their return. Click the button next to that option.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Pdog10

Need help filling out my 1040 form?

Jonnyb22

If claimed correctly or not by your parent, is there any way to fix this? So I can claim as an independent and get my full return. 

If your return rejects because you were claimed on someone else's return you will need to print and mail your return  unless you qualify as a dependent.  Then you will have to check the box that says you can be claimed.  Then you can efile.  You may qualify as their dependent even though you think you don't.  If you are under 19 or under 24 and a full time student you usually qualify as a dependent no matter how much you make.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies