Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gold coin storage in foreign country blocks Fed filing

I tried to explain my problem by email but the reply said to go to the support website. If my problem cannot be answered I'll have to buy a tax package that works, or wait for the problem to be resolved.
This is what I wrote:
Dear Sir:
I keep getting this message when I try to get finished copies of my Federal and State taxes --
2019 Oregon tax return
This return cannot be e-filed before your federal return has been e-filed. You will need to e-file this return at the same time as your federal return, or after your federal return has been e-filed.
-------------
And this is the second time you’ve sent an email that all forms have been completed. Should I continue to wait until the Federal tax forms are completed? One problem is that I have a foreign bank account that stores a few gold coins – no interest income.
Thank you,
John Lim
[email address removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It sounds like your federal return has already been e-File but hasn't yet been accepted

If you have, indeed, filed your federal return already you will be able to transmit your state return once you receive notification that your federal return has been accepted.   

Click on the following link for information and updates regarding when the IRS will begin accepting eFiled returns IRS 2020 filing season information.

You will receive an e-mail when the IRS accepts your return (or a text message if you selected this option).  You can also check the status of your return in TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Login to your account at TurboTax.com
  2. Expand the menu for Your tax returns & documents.
  3. You should see the status of your return under the 2019 column.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

hi SusanY1,  (my email reply got mixed up)
There are the words 1099=OID in the Foreign Account page. There had been a note that TurboTax needed to be updated on January 29th (?). In any case, in the Review I got this message that the State Tax Return cannot be efiled because my FEDERAL RETURN HAS NOT YET BEEN E-FILED. And while filling in the Federal Return it said something about NOT BEING ABLE TO E-FILE the return.

2019 Federal Tax Return
E-File is not available because your tax return includes forms that can't be e-filed. Revisit the Review section to see which forms. Make sure to mail your return by April 15, 2020.  [end of message]

If you are right that the Federal return has already been e-filed but not yet accepted, then the above problem is solved. But it looks like I need a 1099-OID form, which I do not have. I have not earned interest or income from my gold coin storage. Will the required forms be automatically filled out on about Jan. 29th?

Thank you, John [social security number removed]

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like the eFile has NOT yet been transmitted. TurboTax cannot transmit the return to the IRS until all of the necessary forms are available and complete. 

Once the required form is available in the program, TurboTax will automatically add the data from your entries to it. However, you will need to log back in to review the form and submit the return. 

You can check the availability of all of the TurboTax forms by clicking on this link: TurboTax IRS Forms Availability.

After the form is released, log back into TurboTax.Com and follow the instructions on the screen to review your return and transmit it to the IRS.

Thank you for telling me to wait for the required form. I’m not sure what form Turbo Tax has in mind. I assume form OID-1099 is NOT the form I need since I did NOT earn interest or income from the gold coin storage. I’ll wait a few weeks to see if Turbo Tax Online (Intuit) will have automatically filled out the missing information.
John Lim

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It is hard for me to tell just from the information given which form is required.  If you believe it is the 1099-OID which does not apply in your case, try following these steps to see if you can bypass the message:

1. Login to your TurboTax account at TurboTax.com.
  2. Click on Tools in the menu on the left-hand side of the screen (Note: if you do not see Tools first click on Continue where I left off or Take me to my return).
  3. Click on Tax Tools.
  4. Click on Tools.
  5. When the Tools Center opens, click Delete a form.
  6. Scroll down the list of forms and click delete beside  1099-OID (if it is present).
  7. Confirm on the next screen by clicking Delete Form.

If Form 1099-OID  somehow got attached and shouldn't be there, then this should resolve the issue and allow you to file.

If this does not resolve the issue, then I would continue to check back periodically until the form in question is available.  The link posted earlier has the dates of all of the form. If it remains unclear which specific form is the hold-up,  I would check every few days or on the dates that you see frequently populated on the list.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies