turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting a duplicate filing error and haven’t filed this year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you are positive that you didn't already e-file your return on an earlier date (or did the non-filer stimulus registration) and you are sure that you are not eligible to be claimed as a dependent by someone else, you may be a victim of identity theft. You will have to file a paper return instead of e-filing. When you print your return for paper filing, also complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit (PDF).  Use a fillable form at IRS.gov, print it, then attach the form to your return and mail your return according to instructions.

You can access IRS resources on identity theft here.

TurboTax also has resources on identity theft here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you by chance use the non filer portal to register for the stimulus payment. If you did, a tax return with 0 income was efiled for you in order to register you. The non filer portal was for use only by persons who do not file a tax return.

If that is what you did, you will now have to either prepare and mail an amended return form 1040X or some are suggesting that you can just print and mail your "real" 1040 tax return and write "Amended Return" across the top of it. It must be printed and mailed by you. See the filing instructions for what to include and where to mail it. 

Annj2

@GiseleD  What steps do you need to take if you did use the non filer tool to claim my daughter who was born last year. Also, I was charged by turbo tax right before I got that duplicate message. I’m assuming I’m still getting charged 65 dollars? 

the non-filer option IS the filing of a return for 2019 claiming no income.     now all you can do is print and mail.  expect a long wait for any federal refund.    the IRS is not currently processing mailed-in returns.   any state return will also have to be mailed in - some states are also slow in issuing refunds - short of funds. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies