turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CEV1870
Returning Member

From 8962

I got a 1095-A and TurboTax is insisting on completing Form 8962 and giving me a credit since no advance monthly payments were made on my behalf.  However, I do not think I am eligible for any credit since I am not paying for insurance premiums out of my own pocket.  How can I overcome TT's insistence on giving me a credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

From 8962

Form 1095-A reports your insurance premiums and associated advance premium tax credit. The IRS does require you to complete form 8962 if you receive a form 1095-A.

Because you are receiving a form 1095-A, you must be enrolled in an insurance plan through the government exchange. As such, you would be entitled to a premium tax credit if your income was below a certain amount. Also, you would not be allowed to have insurance through your employer.

How is it that you have an insurance plan through the exchange but you don't pay the premiums?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CEV1870
Returning Member

From 8962

A third party is paying my premiums directly to the insurance company.  That's why I don't think I'm entitled to a credit.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

From 8962

By third party, I assume you mean a friend, relative or associate. If so, it would be looked on as a gift to you and then you turn around and pay the insurance premium. In that scenario, you would be considered to have payed the premium yourself, so you would be entitled to the credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies