Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 7206 cannot be efiled!

@ashland_marsh-fr :

I am in similar situation. The problem persists on Turbo Tax Home and Business 2023 on Mac.

Sent my token. Waiting for response.

Forgot to say in my earlier post - I'm also using a Mac for the desktop Home & Business software. I received refunds for both federal and state returns; the federal refund came in about a week and a half and the state took longer.

I'm really sorry for the people who still are not getting their returns accepted, when many of us have been lucky enough to get past the problem. It's hard to tell if anyone at TurboTax understands what's going on or is working on it.

So for those who have filed with the desktop version Home and Business TT, was there a software update that allowed you do to that?   I am running it on Windows 11.   My current version of software as of 14 March 2024 says it is up-to-date, but maybe I should just delete the program and reload.... I do appreciate any ideas because the help from TT is zero.   

@ashland_marsh-fr

This is NOT TRUE: "Those who say this is fixed are either deleting Form 7206 (and if they are still claiming a deduction that requires this form they just may be audited!) or they are filing using the on-line version.   Desk top version does not work with this form.... and calling TurboTax is useless since they are just following a guidebook of canned answers.   As of 14 March 2024 this is not fixed in the DESKTOP version of Home and Business TT.   "

Please don't claim that we are being untruthful or not telling the complete story. 

I did NOT delete form 7206.  I used the version that TT created for me based on my Small Biz health insurance entries.  I filed using the DESKTOP version of Home and Business TT on Feb 16 and the filings were accepted immediately.  We have received our expected refunds from both State and Federal.

What is the basis for your claim that those using this form will be more likely to be audited?

(I don't dispute that YOU are having trouble.  However many have filed successfully without deleting 7206, and using the DESKTOP version of H&B.)

Thanks for everyone who have highlighted that they can get the Desktop version of TT Home and Business to submit with Form 7206 - there were references that the on-line version and desktop were fixed same time, that was not true, but it does appear the desktop version works for some.   I'm trying to figure out exactly what on Form 7206 is creating the error code R0000-058-01 - An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file for many others.   I know my submission of this Form 7206 is because of claiming the long term care insurance deduction and not for any small biz health insurance deduction, so maybe it's because of different blocks being filled in.   These types of bugs are so frustrating, and TT doesn't really care to fix them I guess if they are 'intermittent'.   

@ ashland_marsh-fr

YES there was an update that occured, after which I could e-file. Prior to that I was getting a message different from what you are describing.  It was something like "returns with a 7206 cannot be e-filed."  I never received the message you describe.

We do NOT have Long Term Care Insurance.  Our forms 7206 (two, one each for 2 schedule Cs) has entries in all lines 1 - 14 EXCEPT lines 2, 9, 11, 12.

I am on a PC, Windows 10.  Thre were almost daily updates when the problem described above was first occuring.

Good luck on trouble-shooting.  I think you are on the correct path to identify what is the same / different for those for whom it works vs. doesn't work.  It's unfortunate that TT is seemingly not helpful in this endeavor.  Sometimes it helps to keep calling or emailing until you get someone who listens and is willing to help.  Different reps have different skill levels. 

This may or may not be helpful but here goes...

When I have had problems of this type I always go into forms mode and make sure I didn't inadvertently cause

a stray entry in boxes which should be blank, something as minor as a space being inserted which you can't pick up by just going over and over the same questions.

Be sure to save your work first.

Good luck.

As far as I can tell, this statement is incorrect. 
I am using Home&Business on Windows 11 and e-filed right after the fix came out (over a week ago). I’m self-employed so I needed form 7206. Fed and State were immediately accepted and the state refund has also come in. 
I’m wondering whether the persisting problems might be due to people trying to adjust their forms manually before the fix came out. 

TurboTax is  still not allowing me to e-file with Form 7206.  This is beyond frustrating.  Why isn't Turbotax fixing the issue?

@cathyweese : Tried today. IRS rejected. Hoping TT gets serious about it. Never expected this from a customer-focussed company like Intuit.

I am having the same issue - today is 3/15/2024 - almost a month after the initial reporting of this issue.  Has anyone heard anything from Turbotax?

Still having

I have sent you my tax file.  The token # is 1210205.

I am filing a Federal tax return as well as a NC tax return.

My turbotax was updated yesterday (Thursday 3/14 release).

Thanks

Craig Koontz

[phone number removed]

Unfortunately there are people using the step-by-step process to do their taxes.  I did as well.  I threw in the towel and used the on-line version the day before the "fix" and was indeed able to efile, my return was accepted, and now has been waiting for my refund to be approved for over a month.  I am about to throw in the towel again and just delete the self employment insurance deduction, say good bye to $388 and get the rest of my refund.  Tough lesson learned.  Turbo Tax supervisors have been less than helpful, I had to insist on a free version of the online filing since I had already paid for the desktop version, was assured I was getting it for free until they billed my credit card.  Then I had to follow through to get a refund on the on-line version only to find out that I won't be seeing my sizable refund any time soon.  I won't be using TT next year in spite of having used it for decades.  Very disappointing!  So there are real people still having real issues through no fault of their own.  I am happy it worked out for you....but it didn't for everyone.

I wonder if it would be helpful if the people who still can't file using the desktop version could pool their data and find patterns to share with TurboTax. It seems to be a mix of Mac and Windows people, right? But at least one person is using Form 7206 because of long-term care expenses, rather than medical premiums. Is that the case for others? Any common threads you all could identify might be helpful. Not that you should have to do this... but since TurboTax doesn't appear to be doing anything, you might as well try.

I think the idea of people still having the problem working to find a common set of circumstances is a good one. I also would suggest you start a NEW thread in this forum that more clearly defines the problem.  It seems to be that some returns with a 7206 are being rejected by the IRS. Or that an error about an XML or something is being received.  Both of these are very different than the TT error of the previous problem, which was "TT can't e-file because you have a 7206 form."  I think the new problems are being lumped in with the old problems, which have been solved, and so no attention is given to the new problems.  (Just a suggestion from someone who had the original problem which was solved.)  If you DO start a new thread, perhaps put a link to it here in this thread so those who are having the new problems can transfer over there.  GOOD LUCK. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies