Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yoadrienne6
Returning Member

Form 7203 quick help

Argh... last minute help, please!

I think I understand most of Form 7203.... 2 questions:
1) For Parts 2 and 3 (parts that reflect deb): Should we be putting a "-" sign in front of the amounts? Part 2 is a debt section, so I'm not sure if that will indicate a double negative and therefore calculate it as a +.

2) Part 3, column b instructions: "Enter any loss or deduction items disallowed due to basis limitations in prior years that were carried forward."  How would I know if any amount was disallowed in prior years? On Schedule M-2 of my Tax Return, I've been carrying over our S Corp losses from year to year. I don't know how to determine how much, if any, the IRS didn't allow.

MANY THANKS!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Form 7203 quick help

1) There are no negative numbers anywhere on the form.

2) if in any year, the losses reported on Schedule K-1 took your basis below zero. those were "disallowed" and carried forward.

Note that Form 7203 reports your side of the investment. These calculations are not made by the S-Corp; these should come from your historical records. 

For more assistance see:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yoadrienne6
Returning Member

Form 7203 quick help

@PatriciaV  Thank you for your reply! But, I find it confusing in that you say that these are MY amounts, but every line of Part 3 of Form 7203 asks for the amounts from the K-1 (and the business loss from that IS from the Company), including "carryover amounts"....so how is that personal amounts if the language is specifically asking for K-1 amounts?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Form 7203 quick help

Your K-1 is YOUR share of the business activities.  It makes more sense if there are multiple owners, but it is still valid if you are a sole owner of an S-Corp.  

@yoadirenne6

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yoadrienne6
Returning Member

Form 7203 quick help

oh lol; I am the sole owner; perhaps that's why my K-1 lines up exactly with the business numbers. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies