Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1065 Sch L Balance Sheet Issues

I am not able to get Sch L, Balance Sheet to get in balance.  I have assets but no liabilities. 

I have one depreciable asset.

For Ex:    Purchase Price $50,000.

Accum Depr    ($25,000)

Net      $25000.

Cash          2000.

No liabilities, no payables, and paid out cash distributions to member so Capital account is zero.

How do I balance this??

THANKS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Something is awry somewhere.

Assets should equal Liabilities and Capital (it is unclear as to why your Partners' capital accounts is zero).

If during the year we made, let's say, $10,000, and distributed the earnings in December would that not make the capital account 0?  

Thank you!

ENTER $27000 IN THE PARTNERS CAPITAL ACCOUNT.  YOU WILL THEN BE IN BALANCE.

@flipz wrote:

If during the year we made, let's say, $10,000, and distributed the earnings in December would that not make the capital account 0?  

That would be a wash for the current year. However, you should have started with a higher figure and, as @sammyls1525665 mentioned, adding the figure to your capital account should result in your Schedule being in balance.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Here is an example of how your profits (net income) and capital accounts interrelate - If you are one of two 50/50 owners of XYZ & Co. LLC and you contribute $10,000 to help start the LLC, your initial capital account balance is $10,000.  If you take a $2,000 owner draw, your capital account balance decreases to $8,000. If at the end of the first fiscal year, the LLC has $10,000 in profit, the LLC adds $5,000 to your capital account to reflect your share of the profits, and your capital account balance is $13,000.

When you contribute assets (cash, equip, etc) to the business, your capital account goes up and when you distribute or draw assets, the capital account decreases.  The accounting equation, Assets = Liabilities + Capital means that the total assets of the business are always equal to the total liabilities plus the owners' equity of the business.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi.  Your answer is super.  I really appreciate it and I do understand the accounting equation. For some reason I am just having trouble getting my head wrapped around the Capital account. Just when I think I understand the relationship between earnings, distributions, and the capital account, my process seems wrong. I started an LLC 3 years ago and if I may ask one more time with more a little more detail, maybe you could supply me with an answer.  If you pass on this I will completely understand.  The sad thing is I know this should be super easy.

(these won't be actually numbers, but in the ballpark. Also it's husband and wife so I will refer to it as me).

We have personally not contributed any personal assets.

Year 1 had cash earnings of $9500/Ordinary income of $9400/Owners Cap $9400

Year 2 we distributed the Owners Cap $9400(from year 1)/ Cash Earnings $25000/Ord Income $24000/However we placed an asset in to service and with the Sec 179 and Depr it brought our capital acct to 0./

Year 3 Cash Earnings $39000/Owners Cap $28000. Since we knew what the Owners Cap was we distributed the cash to us in Dec of $28000.  So....shouldn't the owners cap account reflect a zero balance? 

Thank you for your input

Perhaps you can clarify what you wrote in your original post because something appears to be missing.

You have an asset purchase of $50,000.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies