turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lakmali
Returning Member

Foreign Spouse without SSN

Hi Team,

I'm a green card holder in US.My husband lives in Australia and he has never been in US. And he has not earned any income in US. 

While i am  trying to file tax on turbo tax i selected married filing separately. 

But i could not complete filing tax as it asks to input SSN of my spouse.Could you please help me to clarify here? My spouse does not have a SSN so how can i proceed to file tax on turbo tax please?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Lakmali , if you wish to file by mail ( strongly suggested ), you prepare the return with a dummy SSN for your spouse  -- something like 465-89-9999. Then  print out the return, snopake  ( or similar way eradicate ), write in NRA in the SSN area, sign, date and file. This would keep  TurboTax happy and allow you to file as required.   You do not have to include your  spouse and thereby expose his/her world income to US taxes.

If there is more help you need , please comment

707dolfan

How do I access my 2018 taxes so ican print and mail?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@707dolfan Here is how you can access your return after you have filed with us. You can request a transcript or a copy of your return on the IRS Get Transcript site, in which you would not have to pay. Keep in mind you will need to create an account with the IRS, which is free to do!

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Anonymous , think the OP  ( @707dolfan  ) prepared but not filed  / mailed  return for 2018 -- wants to mail in 2018 return.   Suspect it was prepared on-line.    Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies