Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Force itemized deductions to preserve and carry over charitable contributions?

I have an unusual tax situation in 2018 and 2019.  I'm self employed in Minnesota.  In 2018 I show a net operating loss (NOL).  Conversely, in 2019, I will have a large income and will owe lots in taxes.   Currently, doing my 2018 return, Turbo Tax is choosing the standard deduction for me, even though I have lots of charitable deductions ---- that are eligible for carry over to 2019 if I itemize.   With no income in 2018, I don't care if I file using standard or itemized deductions.  I pay no tax in 2018 either way.    I have learned how to force itemized deductions for 2018, using the TT community.

Shouldn't I force itemized deductions for 2018 in order to enjoy the charitable deduction carryover for the 2019 tax year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

makes sense to me 

see the definition of a 'charitable carryover' ...it may be the reason for the 'force to itemize' option on Schedule A. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/general/tax-terms-glossary/L2M1PfoYy

Charitable carryovers

Generally, your deduction for donations to charity in one year cannot exceed 50% of your adjusted gross income for that year (30% in the case of donations of appreciated assets and contributions to private foundations). You can carry over any excess for the following five tax years.  If you can't take your full charitable contribution deduction this year, TurboTax will automatically carry over the remainder to next year's return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

makes sense to me 

see the definition of a 'charitable carryover' ...it may be the reason for the 'force to itemize' option on Schedule A. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/general/tax-terms-glossary/L2M1PfoYy

Charitable carryovers

Generally, your deduction for donations to charity in one year cannot exceed 50% of your adjusted gross income for that year (30% in the case of donations of appreciated assets and contributions to private foundations). You can carry over any excess for the following five tax years.  If you can't take your full charitable contribution deduction this year, TurboTax will automatically carry over the remainder to next year's return.

But turbo tax should automatically track this carry over for you year after year.  I shouldn't have to go doing this myself.  How can I get a clearer answer on this. 

Let me clarify!  Its not and I don't know how to do it on my own. There is no telling how much of my charitable contribution impacted my total itemized deductions.

The carry over never moved forward if I exceeded the limit.  Just a bunch of blank boxes appear for the past five years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies