turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

svivirito

Filing Status

Hello!

My wife and I separated in September 2019.  We did not divorce or legally separate as of 12/31/20 and are now I am preparing for my 2020 Federal Tax return.  We did not live together for even 1 minute in 2020.  I plan on filing Single for 2020.  I cannot find anything that states that I cannot file Single.  Can you provide any insight into the IRS rules governing Filing status for my situation?

Thanks,

Steve

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Filing Status

If you have not received a final divorce decree and are still married you CANNOT file single.   Your choice is to file a joint return if both spouses agree,  file married filing separately, or file Head of Household if you have your child, foster child or step child that lived with you more than half the year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Filing Status

See IRS Pub 17 "Marital Status" page 21

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

Note: that "Legal Separation" requires a court order and separate maintenance which is the same as alimony in a divorce.

In general, your filing status depends on whether you are considered unmarried or married.
Unmarried persons. You are considered unmarried for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are either:

Unmarried, or

Legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.
State law governs whether you are married or legally separated under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.
Divorced persons. If you are divorced under a final decree by the last day of the year, you are considered unmarried for the whole year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies