Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing for student with only $5000 scholarship as income

Hi,

I have a college student as my full dependent. I completed all the steps on Turbo Tax to enter the 1098-T information, school expenses, etc.  Also I entered a $5000 scholarhip my child got and that was used to cover room and board at her college. Turbotax directed us that she should file a tax return since the $5000 is income for her. That is all ok.

We completed another TurboTax form for her. She has not income (no W2, no wages, etc.), only that scholarship. We completed the educational credit part using the 1098-T, similar to what I did on my return. Obviously she can't claim any credit.

On the final review her bottom line is $0.00, she has $0.00 taxable inconme, and owes $0.00

Should we still file her return, or just skip filing?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do not include  the scholarship used for room and board on your return. That’s her income. On your return only include your tuition and book expenses and computer if required. Do not include the scholarship. While the scholarship is her income, since  she has no other income in addition to the scholarship to require her to file, she can ignore the scholarship and not file a return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Do not include  the scholarship used for room and board on your return. That’s her income. On your return only include your tuition and book expenses and computer if required. Do not include the scholarship. While the scholarship is her income, since  she has no other income in addition to the scholarship to require her to file, she can ignore the scholarship and not file a return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies