turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtribb

filing for deceased father

I'm filing my dads 2020 return since he passed away in february, I'm not sure where I need to sign his return. do I sign as him or just as the preparer? I know I have to sign form 1310 but I'm not sure where to sign the actual 1040-SR form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

You can sign your name as personal representative and you should also file a form 56.....

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f56.pdf

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

See Filing the Final Return, near the bottom of the article.  The article has some other information you may find useful in these times.   I am sorry for your loss.  

If an executor or administrator is involved, he or she must sign the return for the decedent.   When a joint return is filed, the spouse must also sign.   When there is no executor or administrator, whoever is responsible for filing the return should sign the return and note that he or she is signing "on behalf of the decedent."   If a joint return is filed by the surviving spouse alone, he or she should sign the return and write "filing as surviving spouse" in the space for the other spouse's signature.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
M-MTax
Level 10

If a taxpayer died before filing a return for 2020, the taxpayer's spouse or personal representative may have to file and sign a return for that taxpayer. A personal representative can be an executor, administrator, or anyone who is in charge of the deceased taxpayer's property......

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040gi#idm140260143560304

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies