Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed my 2017 income taxes and was exempted for the health coverage through Turbo. irs needs a certificate number to process. Can I get it through You?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Filed my 2017 income taxes and was exempted for the health coverage through Turbo. irs needs a certificate number to process. Can I get it through You?

On your Form 8965, is Part I filled in? If so, what does it say in column (c), in the space for Exemption Certificate Number?

In Part II, is the box on line 7 checked?

Is Part III filled in? If so, what is in column (c), Exemption Type?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax does not and cannot grant health coverage exemptions. There are some types of exemptions that you can simply claim on your tax return. Other types of exemptions have to be granted by the Marketplace, which issues an Exemption Certificate Number (ECN). If you claimed an exemption that requires an ECN, you have to get it from the Marketplace.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

On your Form 8965, is Part I filled in? If so, what does it say in column (c), in the space for Exemption Certificate Number?

In Part II, is the box on line 7 checked?

Is Part III filled in? If so, what is in column (c), Exemption Type?

Part 1 is not filled in.
Part 11 (7) is not checked.
Part 111 has exemption Type A.
Thank you for your help!
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If Part I of Form 8965 is not filled in, you do not need an Exemption Certificate Number.

Exemption code A does not require an Exemption Certificate Number.

Did you get a notice from the IRS about your coverage exemption? What exactly does the IRS notice say about an Exemption Certificate Number? They would not be asking for an Exemption Certificate Number for exemption code A.

Exemption code A means that coverage is considered unaffordable because the amount you would have to pay for insurance is more than 8.16% of your household income. Is the notice saying that they disagree that coverage is unaffordable? Did the IRS make any other changes to your tax return that change your income, and therefore change the affordability calculation? Are they saying that you would need an Exemption Certificate Number if you want to claim a different exemption?

I suggest that you call TurboTax support to get help with your IRS notice. Go to the link below, and then click on "Get help from TurboTax support" and follow the prompts. The current support hours are Monday - Friday, 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific time.

TurboTax Audit Support Center

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies