Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

Tax 443557: Read the instructions for 8690. It says to enter the total of 1040 schedule 1 lines 3 and 5 on line 4a. Then on 4b subtract the amount that was NOT passive income. (Like income from your business.) TT did it right as far as I can tell, but the IRS doesn't know what it's doing. Actually they do admit there's a problem but it won't be fixed until Feb/Mar.

FirstGen

Federal return rejection Reject Code F8960-019-04 Processing error Form 8960, Net Investment Income Tax. We do not have an estimate for when the problem will be resolved

I'm having a similar issue, but in my case, I do need the 8960 form since I have investment income. My tax burden is $0 though due to offsetting adjustments from losses. 

Return has been rejected twice now and can't find a solution.

@kim_stone 

"Accepted" by the IRS (not "Pending"), with the same 8960? Sure seems like that would mean this is something TT can somehow remediate (even with the stated IRS problem). 

@meganetrix  says they were told TT will have something tomorrow... fingers crossed...

G8r_ray
Returning Member

I'm owed a refund of over $17,000. I don't feel like waiting until March for the IRS to fix their issue. I only had losses to report on this form and not including the 1099B costs me a couple hundred dollars. Can I efile without reporting the loss and then file an amended return when the situation is resolved. I want my money back. Is their a penalty for doing this

HRB filed today for us, IRS just accepted. They aren’t having this problem apparently.

I e-filed with HRB Saturday evening and my return is still pending. Sounds like others with HRB get immediate response. Oh well—after reading all these comments—not sure if I want it to be accepted or not. With TT I was rejected summarily within hours. 

I just e-filed and still receiving the same rejection !

I called Turbo tax and after waiting for over an hour and three transfers  later I was hung up on!

That is what I call customer service.

I'm in the same boat, no rental income, but 8960 error.  Hoping I'll hear that it is fixed soon.

HI,

Same error Code F8960-019-04 for me too...

The link says the fix is coming sometime late February/early March. Where does it say 2/5? 

Same issue with us; extrememly frustrating to have to wait until the IRS fixes this issue.  Didn't they just hire like 87K new agents and they can't get this issue fixed before mid March?? 

I am having the same error where self employment income is populating the form as rental income and turbotax has loss of rental income in the same amount showing to net out as $0.  I went in and manually deleted the rental income and rental loss and learned that Turbotax will not allow me to Efile a form that has manual edits.

The suggestion was to either way a few weeks and check back or print and paper file with the IRS.  I hope they fix this soon as I do not want to paper file and deal with those delays 

The IRS Project Worksheet as of today 2/6/2023 shows a completion of the fix as late February to Mid-March.  Paper file or wait.  I'm going to wait.  I'm happy they are addressing the problem which, if you think about it, affects anyone filing a Schedule C - Profit or Loss from a Business or Profession.  That's a lot of people.  This problem is huge. 

IRS Project Worksheet as of 2.6.2023.jpg

All: I tried again to eFile this morning and was rejected for the third time. Crossing fingers that Intuit truly is working on a solution.

Meanwhile, found another thread on the support forum: via  ttlc.intuit.com and /community/taxes/discussion/what-is-reject-code-f8960 (I'm unable to provide the full link). Tax experts including @RobertB4444 have offered suggestions on that thread (although most seem to be "wait for the IRS"). I posted there to flag this additional thread and am tagging Robert here with hopes that this group can get some of the tax expert love we are so desperate for...

Oh my goodness. If you go to TurboTax Community and filter for "8960" there are about 50 threads of people struggling with the same or related issues.

It might be true that Intuit is not responding to this thread because they simply don't have enough humans to respond?...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies