Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MHM
Level 1

Excess SS withholding, due to two seperate employers, the excess SS tax not being added to Fed tax paid in Turbo Tax?

I have two W2's from tow different employers, and answered "Yes" to the question "Are all W2's listed above from different employers?" however the ~$7K in SS tax overpayment is not being added to my Fed taxes paid.  Seems like the form is not calculating correctly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Excess SS withholding, due to two seperate employers, the excess SS tax not being added to Fed tax paid in Turbo Tax?

This is a known problem and has been reported to the TurboTax Moderators.  Waiting on a fix...

Anonymous
Not applicable

is there a paying agent involved so both w-2's show the same EIN. (TT will not calculate excess soc sec since the"employer" is supposed to refund it which is not correct)    if not make sure the right taxpayer is shown

if the ein is the same, TT is working on this issue.  it's been an unrecognized issue for many years.  

if your married and each has a w-2 they are not combined to see if there is excess soc sec withheld. 

MHM
Level 1

Thank you!!

fggill

I have encountered same issue - but it is now March 19 and still no fix??

@fggill wrote:

I have encountered same issue - but it is now March 19 and still no fix??

Do two or more of the W-2's you received have the same employer EIN?

fggill

No they are two distinct employers with different EIN 

fggill

Can I simply override by adding $8240 to an "other" tax category and label it properly as soc sec taxes paid?

@fggill wrote:

No they are two distinct employers with different EIN 

Then there should not be any issue if the total SS taxes that were withheld are greater than $8,239.80 on your W-2's, the excess SS taxes withheld is reported on Schedule 3 Line 11.  The totals from Schedule 3  Part II Line 14 flows to the Form 1040 Line 18d as a tax payment and is included in the tax refund or reduces the taxes owed.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies