Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated Tax Payments for State of California

A friend helped me figure out how to set up my account to begin paying estimated tax payments for the federal. But I don't know how to get set up with the state estimated tax payments.

I will be getting a business license within the next month and maybe that will answer my issue, but I have kept good records of everything trying to see if my business idea even had any validity before going through the licensing process. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Go to this California FTB website for how to set up and pay state estimated taxes - https://www.ftb.ca.gov/pay/estimated-tax-payments.html#How-to-pay

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

@Felicia Dq thank you for the question.  Here is the link to the FTB's website Pay Now  where you can make estimated tax payments for either personal or businesses in California.  

All the best,

Marc T.

TurboTax Live Select Time Tax Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
Terri Lynn
Employee Tax Expert

Hello Felicia, 

It is great that you have been able to get your self all set up to take care of your anticipated future, federal tax obligations.  And now lets work on doing the same, for the State of California.

The first thing to consider is what type of business entity you are establishing and whether you will need to make quarterly estimated payments.

You will need to make estimated tax payments if, by the end of the tax year, you expect to owe taxes more than:

• $500, if you are filing to the FTB as a corporation
  • $250, if you married and/or filing RDP separately
  • $1000, if you are self-employed 

Also, both the IRS and the CA  Franchise Tax Board expects your withholdings and tax credits to be less than at least one of the following:

• 90% of the current year's tax
  • 100% of the previous tax year (alternative minimum tax included)

No matter the source of your income, if you expect to owe the amounts mentioned above, then you will need to file for estimated taxes. Otherwise, you'll become subject to tax liability.

As with every other state in the United States, California also requires you to make estimated tax payments. If you expect to owe an estimated tax of at least $500.

Due dates  are spread throughout the year.  The dates for California are the same as with the rest of the United States. The only difference is the percentage needed for each payment.

It is important that you respect all of these due dates. Otherwise, you will be subjected to tax liability, for not reporting your taxable income.

Payment Amount Due date
1 30% April 18, 2023
2 40% June 15, 2023
3 0% September 15, 2023
4 30% January 16, 2024

Figuring how much tax you have to pay can be slightly tricky, especially if you are only beginning as a self-employed person. The main idea here is to estimate just how much you're likely to owe at year's end, based on your income and expenses.

**Remember, it's always better to pay slightly more than slightly less when making your estimated tax payments. If you pay more, then you may get your money back.

You can pay by:

• Online:To make your payment online. Visit: CA FTB Payment Options 
  • or By Mail:  Franchise Tax Board
                         PO Box 942867
                         Sacramento CA 94267-0008
  • Use Estimated Vouchers 540-ES vouchers to pay your estimated tax by mail
  • Make your check or money order payable to the “Franchise Tax Board”
  • Write your SSN or ITIN and “2022 Form 540-ES” on it

For help on calculating your estimated taxes for California, there is additional information and a worksheet with instructions. Visit: CA Estimated Tax Worksheet 

For more information on CA State speific information plaese visit: 

California Estimated Tax Payments  or,

FTB. CA . Gov Small Business 

Hopefully this information will help!

Best wishes going forward,

Terri 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

Terri Lynn H.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies