turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated Penalty?

My estimated summary shows a $67 penalty.  I am not aware of anything I have done to incur it - what are the sources / causes of penalties on a tax return that is not past due?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Estimated Penalty?

If your return is showing a penalty, it would be for "Underpayment of Estimated Tax", or in other words, not paying enough via payroll withholding or estimated payments throughout the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Estimated Penalty?

You might be able to eliminate it or at least reduce it.  You can go to Federal Taxes tab or Personal tab, under Other Tax Situations and select Start by the Underpayment Penalties. You will answer a series of questions that may reduce or eliminate the penalty. Or you can elect to have the IRS figure the penalty for you.  It's form 2210.

It's under

Federal or Personal (for Home & Business Desktop)

Other Tax Situations

Additional Tax Payments

Underpayment Penalties - Click the Start or update button

If you have the desktop program you can switch to Forms Mode (click forms in the upper right (left for Mac)) and open the 2210 form.

ps....I had a refund once and still had a penalty for not paying in evenly during the year.

alctfl
Returning Member

Estimated Penalty?

We must pay at least 90% of the tax we owe before 12/31 of the tax year, or incur a penalty.

Estimated Penalty?

We are getting penalized for cashing in Bonds for tuition for my son in college.  These were bought before 1989.  so they are not tax exempt.  so instead of asking TT is ratting us out as if we are tax evaders and assessing a penalty they don't have the power to enforce.  I may not have this tax situation int he future either so it needs to be eliminated.

If the government is getting all their money back at the end of the year why file quarterly estimated returns on one time tax events.

I didn't see this before I filed so now I want to eliminate it if possible and file an amended return.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Estimated Penalty?

When you enter the 1099-INT to report the interest, a screen asks if they were EE bonds and if so, were they used for education expenses. 

This would allow the interest to be tax free. 

Estimated Penalty?

I am showing a $140 penalty. Should I have more MD state tax taken out in my pension?

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Estimated Penalty?

Yes, I would advise having more state tax withheld from your pension. This is a common problem that taxpayers have after retirement since there is no money being withheld form an employer.

Estimated Penalty?

These were purchased before 1988 and therefore not tax exempt.  They were also inherited from relatives

Estimated Penalty?

I've done this and now my return is being rejected.  What a mess.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies