Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

pjn
Level 3

Error Check Message Section 199A Inputs

Self employment earnings on a sole proprietor is computed as net earnings from a Schedule line 31 then multiplied by 92.35% to get to the self employment earnings subject to SE tax.  A Schedule K-1 from From a partnership (Form 1065) should indicate what your self employment earnings are on Box 14. That comes from the partnership's income or loss for the year. You may or may not have access to the detail if it's coming from a partnership where you do not have access to the records. 

The mileage and other expenses should be accounted in the partnership if understand you correctly. Clearly some of these issues are better handled by a CPA or EA that can help with the tax return.  

pjn
Level 3

If understand your issue correctly, a Sec 179 cannot generate a loss. It would be limited and the carryover claimed in the following year. 

pjn
Level 3

Why can't you use F8995? I have filed several returns already with no problems. Same for Pro series the professional software. 

No, I am using 8995 and according to the IRS site, it was available over a month ago.  Anyone else having this problem?

8995 is working.

Try putting a dollar value in K-1 line 17 for V on you personal return. I know it says STMT but a dollar value for V may turn on QBI.

pjn
Level 3

The reason it says STMT for V is because IRC 199A is not as simple as many think. For some business types it could be just net income, for more complicated business you may have to factor in items affecting QBI by components such as Wages, Deprn, Sec 179 and a host of other expenses potentially. It almost follows the same logic like the now eliminated DPAD. 

It says statement now because there’s an actual IRS form. In 2018 there was no form so all of the varying values were listed in that line.

I would go through the income and deductions sections all the way through the tax return using easy step and see if you can’t get the QBI to turn on. 

I can assure you 8995 works. However if you are beyond the income maximums or you’re in the phase out range, then you may have to wait for form 8995A in order to properly calculate your QBI

I contacted Turbotax directly.  The agent was able to actually look at my return.  She told me that not every page actually requires you indicate that "none apply", as in this case and that when it shows my return has no errors, that I am fine by not checking anything on that page.  I haven't tried to file the return yet, but time will tell.

You’re referring to the page that has and option for none of the above, and when you select it it doesn’t let you go forward?

That was reported to TurboTax more than a week ago. That is an error on that page And the agent is completely wrong.  Bug!

Yes, that is exactly the message I am referring to.  Interesting the agents don't even know what they are talking about???? She actually looked at my program and saw the message, both when I check the n/a and when I check nothing, as well as looked at my screen when it says "no errors".  

I am not in any hurry to file, so I will wait to see if they do get it fixed - maybe telling people to ignore is their fix. . .good grief.

Its a bug. Uncheck "None apply" and click continue. It will work just fine.

I still get this error message when I try to efile. Ive checked and all my data is entered correctly. How do I solve the problem?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If you are experiencing the same error message reported by the other Community users in this "thread", note that some customers are reporting that unchecking the "None of these apply" box on the last line of the "Let's check for some uncommon adjustments" screen, and just leaving nothing on that page checked (assuming you have none) will resolve this error.  

If you are not experiencing that error, or if "unchecking the box" doesn't clear the error, please provide additional information to help diagnose your problem.  For example, what is your error message, what is the source of your QBI (Schedule K-1, Schedule E,  Schedule C, or 1099-DIV), and what QBI information has been reported on or with that QBI income?

@tmartin923

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
drdaveffo

I too had phantom entries on lines 18, 19 and 20 from my k-1 generated with TurboTax Business and imported into Turbotax Premier to do my 1040 personal taxes.  After I went to the forms view and selected "no entry" for these and deleted the zero in the amount, then saving the return, it corrected and finally allowed me to e-file my return! Many hours of frustration ended and thanks to those who helped in the Q & A sessions.

drdaveffo

I tried that with boxes 18, 19 and 20, but it only worked if you deleted the zero and set it to no entry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies