Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entered the same child & dependent care expenses for federal & state (virginia) but get Code 101 error that says I'm putting more $ down for state then fed. I'm not. thx

I have triple checked and am entering in the same amount for federal and state.  I can't get past this "Check this entry" error.  Code 101-Amount.  Taxpayer and spouse total cannot be greater than the total expenses reported on the federal return.   I'm 100% confident it is not.  I don't know what is wrong.  Thank you for your help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
bubba_k8

Entered the same child & dependent care expenses for federal & state (virginia) but get Code 101 error that says I'm putting more $ down for state then fed. I'm not. thx

I am getting the same error, what is the solution?

rk1729
Returning Member

I am getting the same error. Appreciate if anyone could share a solution.

I am getting this same error on my VA return for 2022 tax filing.  Has Turbotax addressed?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

What are the amounts for each provider of child care entered on the federal return, and what are the amounts as split between the spouses as entered on the state return?

Please be sure to include decimal places if that is what you entered in any place, even if TurboTax rounded it up or down.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sthornelo

Yeah, that's not the problem.  I've gone back and redone my Federal Numbers and my State Numbers, they are equal but this error is still coming up.  Even if I adjust it to LESS than Federal, it still gives this error.  There are no decimal issues.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Please clarify your question. Are were you able to correct and file your return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I ran into this same thing while doing my 2022 taxes

Realized the issue was that, for the state, I was entering in the true amount that I paid for dependent care Expense. However, the amount entered is expected to be the amount you actually spent, but the amount you were credited for. 

When entering the dependent Expense for the State. Make note of the sentence below that may appear on your screen as I believe it indicates the amount expected to be entered.

“Your eligible dependent care expenses are $XXXX for 2022.”

andre27

This was frustrating, but looking up the actual IRS Form 2441 for Child and Dependent Care Expenses was helpful. 

On that form it makes clear that the max number you can enter for childcare expenses is NOT what you actually paid, it's the max allowable per the # of dependents you have (for 2022 it's $3k for 1 kid, $6k for 2+).

In my case, I also had to subtract child care dollars that were already paid pre-tax (through employer account), and this arrived at the "true" cost number that TurboTax wants to see. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies