Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

efiling form 4852 (Substitute W-2) (foreign pension)

Lina - Thank you very much for this answer.  Instructions for Form 8833 say "You do not have to file Form 8833 for any of the following situations: (the two that apply to me:) 2. You claim a treaty exemption that reduces or modifies the taxation of income from dependent personal services, pensions, annuities, social security and other public pensions........, 5. The payments or items of income that are otherwise required to be disclosed total no more than $10,000."  So I am thinking that I can efile with form 4852 and do not have to file form 8833.  I hope......

ipc1
Level 2

LinaJ2020,

Entering  nine 9s gives an error, however entering 99-0999999 does work. This was found by others see for instance: Solved: Thanks John-I prefer the 1099s for the info & the ... (intuit.com)

My question was: when e-filing can TurboTax confirm that 99-0999999 will be accepted by the IRS for the Payer Federal ID entry?

With regard to the alternative method of using Miscellaneous income: “As long as the IRS has the pension reported and included in total income, it is not problematic.” What assurance do we have that this is the case? 

@ipc1 wrote:

LinaJ2020,

.” What assurance do we have that this is the case? 

See my answer above.  The IRS says how to report  it - on the 1040 line 5a/5b.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ipc1
Level 2

macuser_22,

Why do you write, “I do not believe a substitute 1099-R can be e-filed.” Given that one of the steps in the Substitute Form 1099-R process contains the following:sub_efile.jpg

@ipc1 wrote:

macuser_22,

Why do you write, “I do not believe a substitute 1099-R can be e-filed.” Given that one of the steps in the Substitute Form 1099-R process contains the following:sub_efile.jpg

Because TurboTax says it cannot be.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 8.27.38 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ipc1
Level 2

macuser_22,

What is the meaning of form e-file unsupported?

Was it supported in the past?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

In the past, 99-0999999 was allowed for e-file, but not anymore.  

In order to e-file, you have an option to enter under "Other Reportable Income".  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "other reportable income" and Enter
  • Select Jump to other reportable income
  • Next screen, Other Wages Received, select No to continue
  • Next screen, scroll down all the way to the bottom, under Other reportable income, select Start
  • Next screen, Any Other Taxable Income? select Yes to continue

This amount will show on line 8 of Schedule 1 and Form 1040.  Although it was not reported on a 1099-R related form, as long as it is reported as Other Income, it is not problematic to the IRS.  Tax treaty-related matters are out of scope for our advice.  Generally, foreign pension is taxable to the US. You would not need to file the Form 8833 Treaty-Based Return Position Disclosure.  However, you would need to consult another professional who is specialized in it for verification.  Some other foreign pension might not be taxable if it is covered under any tax treaties between the foreign country and the United States.  For more information, see http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/The-Taxation-of-Foreign-Pension-and-Annuity-Distributions

@ipc1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ipc1 wrote:

macuser_22,

What is the meaning of form e-file unsupported?

Was it supported in the past?

I do not believe so. 

@LinaJ2020 wrote:

In the past, 99-0999999 was allowed for e-file, but not anymore.  

In order to e-file, you have an option to enter under "Other Reportable Income".  Here are the steps:

Except that will not put in on the 1040 line 5 as the IRS requires.

For 2021 return, it seems that using 99-9999999 generates an error loop and forces file by mail.  Using 99-0999999 clears the error loop.  The relevant pension income shows up (I think correctly) on Line 5b of the 1040.    I am filing Form 8938 to report the UK pension that this relates for my return and reporting there that the relevant income is being reported at line 5(b) of the 1040.   I don't want to efile, don't want to mess with Treaty elections.  Hopefully this works.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies