Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e-filing with taxes due

I filled out form 4868 extension to file federal return incorrectly, indicating that I owed 0. But I actually did owe and should have paid with the 4868.  Had I done this, I would have owed 0.

I am ready to e-file my federal return. Can I make a payment at that time? What about the interest that I owe? Will that stop accruing if I pay the balance in full? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

e-filing with taxes due

Yes, you can make a payment when you file your tax return. TurboTax will give you a choice of ways to pay. Read the choices carefully.

The interest will stop accruing when you pay the tax that you owe. There might be a penalty on line 38 of your Form 1040, which is included in the total amount you have to pay. The IRS will send you a bill for interest and any additional penalties. If the amount is small, they might not bother to bill you.

e-filing with taxes due

can I make a payment directly on the IRS's website instead of with the e-file?

I think I can.

e-filing with taxes due

Sure ... the IRS will take your money that way happily.   In the TT program choose to "mail in a check" in the FILE tab then don't mail in a check ... pay online instead. 

Carl
Level 15

e-filing with taxes due

You can pay your tax liability directly to the IRS at www.irs.gov/payments.

If you also have to pay state taxes, you will *NOT* pay your state taxes on the irs website. Not all states offer online payment options. So you'll have to check your state's department of taxation website for ways to pay. Most likely, your state will have the option to pay online and you can do so right away.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies