turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

does IRS offer an online (or phone) service that allows me to ask a question seeking to clarify the best interpretation of a tax rule?

Because of my complicated situation, a specific tax rule is up to an ambiguous interpretation. Therefore, instead of making an interpretation myself, i was hoping to ask IRS directly on the most appropriate interpretation. 

does IRS offer an online (or phone) service that allows me to ask such a question? 

Thx!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

does IRS offer an online (or phone) service that allows me to ask a question seeking to clarify the best interpretation of a tax rule?

IRS does not offer an online helpline.  You can call them though.

The IRS does have a customer service phone line. The accuracy rate of answers is generally below 75%. I would not trust the basic operators for a complex issue. You can request a private letter ruling, which is a definitive opinion from a senior analyst, but the cost starts at $10,000 I think.

Your best bet is to consult an enrolled agent and pay for their advice. That way you have hired an expert who will stand with you if the IRS disagrees with their opinion.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies