turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I qualify for the Government Stimulus Check if I was dependent in 2018 but I filed independent in 2019?

In 2018, my parents filed me as dependent on their tax return. However, I filed as independent for my 2019 tax return (which I have received already). My parents currently have not filed their own 2019 tax return. Do I qualify for the $1200 Government Stimulus Check even though my parents filed me as dependent on their 2018 tax return?

Thanks,

Doug

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Do I qualify for the Government Stimulus Check if I was dependent in 2018 but I filed independent in 2019?

It is unknown when the IRS is going to review 2018 and 2019 returns to determine eligibility for the stimulus payment. If you were a dependent in 2018, and you didn't file your 2019 return in time for the IRS to review it for the stimulus (we don't know when they conduct their review), then you can still receive it in 2021 when you file your 2020 return. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

However, you still need to be otherwise eligible for the stimulus (must have SSN and AGI below certain limits). Clicking this link will allow you to estimate your stimulus payment/determine eligibility: Stimulus Registration.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

It is unknown when the IRS is going to review 2018 and 2019 returns to determine eligibility for the stimulus payment. If you were a dependent in 2018, and you didn't file your 2019 return in time for the IRS to review it for the stimulus (we don't know when they conduct their review), then you can still receive it in 2021 when you file your 2020 return. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

However, you still need to be otherwise eligible for the stimulus (must have SSN and AGI below certain limits). Clicking this link will allow you to estimate your stimulus payment/determine eligibility: Stimulus Registration.

I was wanting to now if I qualify for the stimulus check I have a child as well

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, that would make you eligible. 

You can track your payment using the IRS app.

Get My Payment

Is there any way to see what year they applied for the stimulus?

Our oldest daughter was a dependant in 2018 but she moved out in July of 2019 when I had our youngest child. 
She did her taxes at the very end of March and we filed April 1st, she did not file as a dependant and we didn't claim her on 2019 taxes, we received stimulus credit for the correct number of dependants (because with our son born we would have had the same number of dependant claims whether without her or because our baby wasnt born yet) but she has not received a stimulus yet with her status as 'unable to determine'.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It sounds as if the IRS may not have fully processed each of your 2019 tax returns yet in order to determine her eligibility.

Since she is over the age of 16, she would not have been included in your payment allowing yours to be calculated without that information.  

For the IRS to properly calculate hers, they are likely waiting until both your 2019 return and her 2019 return are fully processed and recorded.  The database is updated daily, and payments are expected continue through the summer and into the fall, so she should continue to check  her status every few days.  At this point, you have both taken all of the necessary steps to take to ensure that her situation is taken into account properly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies