turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to send the amended state form if nothing changed for the state, only the amended federal?

hi i'm getting ready to send out my amended tax forms. 

main question is: do i need to mail out the amended state forms too if there was no refund or balance owed after the changed. i didn't type in anything either when i amended the fed and state return -- just the updated tax law changed the amount. 

secondly -- do i need to fill in the PTIN # if i am doing self prepared or can i leave that blank?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I need to send the amended state form if nothing changed for the state, only the amended federal?

You do not need to file an amended state return if there was no change to your state return as a result of amending your federal return.  PTIN numbers are Preparer Tax ID numbers.  If you are not a tax professional, you do not have a PTIN.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/do-i-need-to-amend-my-state-if-i-amend-my-federal/00...

thank you for the answer and for the link to confirm as well. i was looking all over the place for that and couldn't find it stated in those specific terms -- even on the IRS website. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies