turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to give my spouse a 1099 when we joint file together? We are self-employed in sales, and the commissions are received under my SSN.

Do I give my spouse a 1099 or just indicate it as an expense?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Do I need to give my spouse a 1099 when we joint file together? We are self-employed in sales, and the commissions are received under my SSN.

You may not need to issue your wife a 1099, but you may need to change the way you file your tax returns. There's more to this issue than just a 1099.

According to IRS IRS on Husband and Wife Business , "a spouse is considered an employee if there is an employer/employee type of relationship, i.e., the first spouse substantially controls the business in terms of management decisions and the second spouse is under the direction and control of the first spouse. If such a relationship exists, then the second spouse is an employee subject to income tax and FICA (Social Security and Medicare) withholding. However, if the second spouse has an equal say in the affairs of the business, provides substantially equal services to the business, and contributes capital to the business, then a partnership type of relationship exists and the business's income should be reported on Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income.

On May 25, 2007 the Small Business and Work Opportunity Tax Act of 2007 was signed into law and affect changes to the treatment  of qualified joint ventures of married couples not treated as partnerships. The provision is effective for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2006.

The provision generally permits a qualified joint venture whose only members are a husband and wife filing a joint return not to be treated as a partnership for Federal tax purposes. A qualified joint venture is a joint venture involving the conduct of a trade or business, if (1) the only members of the joint venture are a husband and wife, (2) both spouses materially participate in the trade or business, and (3) both spouses elect to have the provision apply.

Under the provision, a qualified joint venture conducted by a husband and wife who file a joint return is not treated as a partnership for Federal tax purposes. All items of income, gain, loss, deduction and credit are divided between the spouses in accordance with their respective interests in the venture. Each spouse takes into account his or her respective share of these items as a sole proprietor. Thus, it is anticipated that each spouse would account for his or her respective share on the appropriate form, such as Schedule C.  For purposes of determining net earnings from self-employment, each spouse’s share of income or loss from a qualified joint venture is taken into account just as it is for Federal income tax purposes under the provision (i.e., in accordance with their respective interests in the venture).

This generally does not increase the total tax on the return, but it does give each spouse credit for social security earnings on which retirement benefits are based. However, this may not be true if either spouse exceeds the social security tax limitation. Refer to Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business, for further information about self-employment taxes. For more information on qualified joint ventures, refer to Election for Husband and Wife Unincorporated Businesses.

Will I need to fill out the  Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income separate from what TurboTax offers, or is this offered in one of the TurboTax packages I can purchase?

The answer above is somewhat incomplete.

If the business is not incorporated (not an LLC or S-corp), and if the two spouses are the only partners, then you can choose to file as two separate sole proprietorships.  Each spouse files a schedule C listing their share of the business income and expenses.  

Or, it is perfectly acceptable for you to treat your wife as a subcontractor and issue her a 1099-NEC for the work she does.  You can deduct it as a business expense and she would file a schedule C to report the income of being a subcontractor.  Tax-wise it's a wash, but both of these methods put some of the income appropriately in her name, which has a number of long term advantages.

Or, you can file a form 1065 partnership return.  This would also be required if the business is an LLC, or if there are 3 or more partners, or any partner who is not a spouse.   As part of the 1065, you will prepare a K-1 statement for each partner that will go on their personal tax return.  To file a 1065 you need Turbotax Business; this is different from self-employed or Home & Business, and is only available as a CD or download for PC, there is no online or Mac version.  Also note the yearly deadline for filing the 1065 is March 15, not April 15, and the penalty for late filing is $195 per month per partner. 

AeroTwin7

Hi, what makes a business "Incorporated" for IRS tax purposes. 

I have a LLC registered in state of Georgia, never file appropriate forms with the IRS to acknowledge my GA state incorporation - thus my taxes are always file a sole proprietor (schedule C). 

SO, For Federal tax purposes - I'm a sole proprietor and not considered incorporated?

As an LLC you would get articles of organization from the state. Then request an Employer Identification Number with the Federal Government.  When you get the EIN letter, it tells you that you have to file a certain tax return.  If you have never requested or received an EIN, then consider yourself a single member LLC.

You would not have to give her a 1099 but don't record payments to her as an expense either.  

@AeroTwin7 wrote:

Hi, what makes a business "Incorporated" for IRS tax purposes. 

I have a LLC registered in state of Georgia, never file appropriate forms with the IRS to acknowledge my GA state incorporation - thus my taxes are always file a sole proprietor (schedule C). 

SO, For Federal tax purposes - I'm a sole proprietor and not considered incorporated?

The IRS does not recognize that LLCs have a special status under tax law, since they are creations of state law rather than federal law.  A corporation, for tax purposes, means an S-corporation or C-corporation.  An LLC is a Limited Liability Company, not a corporation. 

For federal tax purposes, an LLC is a sole proprietorship, or a partnership if it has more than one member (special rules apply if there are exactly 2 members who are spouses living in a community property state, but in all other cases, an LLC with more than one member is a partnership.)

An LLC can file a special form with the IRS to be taxed as if it was an S-corp, but this has a number of potential problems and should not be done without competent legal and accounting help.  Without this form, a single member LLC is a sole proprietorship and a disregarded entity and will file a schedule C.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies