turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ksds654

Do i get charged a fee if my tax return was filed a half hour late?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

ksds654  asked:  " Do i get charged a fee if my tax return was filed a half hour late?"

What do you mean by "charged a fee?"  Are you referring to a penalty from the IRS?   You'll have to wait and see.  It's possible--if you owed Federal taxes due.    However, if you are due a Federal refund, there is no penalty for a late Federal return.

If you owed Federal taxes due, there can be a late filing penalty and a "failure to pay" penalty.

Even if you have a penalty, you may be able to ask the IRS to forgive a first penalty.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-penal...

"Do i get charged a fee if my tax return was filed a half hour late?"

Unlikely.

Officially, the IRS does not accept new e-file returns after midnight on October 15. We don’t know if there is an unofficial grace period.  If your tax return is rejected, you will have to print it out and mail it in. Be sure to watch your email and check your online account each day over the next five days to make sure that you know if your tax return is accepted or rejected by the IRS and by your state tax agency.

If you did not qualify for free filing with TurboTax, you will be charged the program fee even if your return is rejected because it is late. The fee covers both preparation and e-filing, and there is no extra or separate charge for e-filing, and since you have prepared a tax return that you can print and mail, you will not get a refund if you can’t e-file.

If you owe income tax, the IRS can technically charge you a penalty of 5% of the amount you owe even if you are only one day late. You will have to wait and see if they actually charge you. We don’t know if there might be an unofficial grace period.

Manage cookies