turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

spca24

Divorced, and haven't filed since 2018

When I turned 18 I started filing taxes with my husband. We filed 2015, 2016 and we separated right when we had to file for 2017.  He wouldn't give me any of my mail, and said he wasn't filing for me. I didn't know how to do it, and didn't have my w2's so I didn't file. Then, it comes time to file for 2018 and I didn't know if he had claimed me so I didn't know if I could file due to not having filed last year. Shortly, the first stimulus checks came out, and I went online to the non filer, and when I claimed it, they gave me an error saying someone had already claimed me and received my payment. I contacted my husband and he denied everything. I work with property management and had connection with someone who works for the IRS and  could give me some details and she told me that the person who received my stimulus check filed on turbotax, so I knew it was him and he was just denying it. Now we are divorced and I want to file for 2020, but I don't know if I have to go ahead and file for the previous years? I have tried to get some of my w2s from previous jobs and they have been extremely difficult, some places have even changed owners or shut down. I need help, I had 2 jobs last year and I am ready to file for this coming year but I am not sure what I need to do first? Can I just go ahead and file or do I have to file the previous years first?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Divorced, and haven't filed since 2018

You need to file the years that have not been filed.

1. Start by finding out what was reported to the IRS.
    1. To see what was reported to the IRS, go to Get My Transcript and request a Record of Account type of transcript for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
    2. Only report the income from 2017 in 2017, income from 2018 in 2018, etc.
  2. Next, start with the oldest year. Purchase the tax software for each year because the rules change that much from year to year. To file prior years, go here to purchase the prior year CD/Downloads.
    1. Your filing status without children is single if you were not married on December 31 of that year.
    2. Use your current address so that any correspondence will come to you. The address on your W-2 will be from the year it was issued. 
  3. Last, file 2020. To report the stimulus payments, report in each stimulus payment if you did not receive it.
    1. To do this in TurboTax, in the search, type stimulus and click the Jump to link.
    2. For  more information see the Questions and Answers about the Second Economic Impact Payment and How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax?

As for your ex-husband taking your stimulus, follow these steps:

1. Start a refund trace by filing out Form 3911 Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund and
  2. Contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service. They help when an ex-spouse receives the stimulus check and can help you further to file Form 3911.

See: Economic Impact Payment Information Center — Topic F: Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or ...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies