Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Distributing taxable interest to other estate heirs

You need to issue separate 1099s, but you only need to input the total amount you received as nominee (i.e., not three separate figures).

How do the 1099s I issue and the filings of my siblings "link" to the 1099 I receive from the IRS?  (thank you for hanging in here with me)!

What your siblings file is linked to the 1099 each receives from you. 

If the IRS questions the nominee distribution on your return, you have copies of the 1099s you issued to each of your siblings (and the IRS also the originals you filed).

Is someone with experience willing to walk me through the 1096 / nominee / 1099-INT process.  This is something I will be doing once and never again.  To reiterate: I will be receiving an 1099-INT from the IRS because I am the "person claiming the refund" of a 2019 return filed soon after my mother's death.  There are 4 heirs including myself each getting equal fourths.  I received the check finally in Nov 2023 long after the estate and the account were closed.   What I understand is that in Turbo tax I enter the 1099 and nominate 3/4 of the amount.  Then I fill out 3 1099 INTs to send to my siblings; and then submit to the IRS copies of those three 1099s along with a 1096.  I need a bit of hand holding to make sure I do this correctly.  Thank you in advance.  

Did the screenshots not help? Do you need help with the actual tax reporting statements?

Yes @tagteam .  The screen shots helped on the TurboTax side.  I also think I now have some confidence filling out the 1096 and mailing it with copies of the 3 1099-INTs.  I've ordered the forms from IRS and will be filling them out by hand.  Turbo Tax for MAC does not support creating 1099s in Home and Business. :-(.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies