Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Directors' fees from a non-US charity

I am a board member of a non-US charitable foundation.  Where do I report my remuneration? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You could enter your foreign income as wages by following these steps in TurboTax:

1. Income and expenses
  2. Less Common Income
  3. Miscellaneous Income
  4. Income not already reported on a Form W-2
  5. Indicate that you received other wages
  6. Work through the screens until you come to Any Other Income, indicate that you received other wages
  7. Indicate that you earned wages not reported on a W-2 
  8. Enter the employer's name and the wages received
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks very much, but I might have left out an essential element in my post: I am also resident in the same country, Switzerland, where the board director fees were earned.  Digging further, such fee income seems to be self employment income and counts as foreign earned income, and would be covered by the foreign earned income exclusion as well as the totalization agreement with Switzerland.  This latter should then give priority to the Swiss AVS (=social security) and exempting me from any US Social Security reporting.  I am just not yet clear as how to get there in TurboTax.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

International tax treaty-related questions is out of our scope for advice, unfortunately.  You would need to seek a professional who is specialized in this matter for verification. If your Swiss pension is exempt from the US tax, you would enter the amount as follows:

In TurboTax online,

• Report your full income under the appropriate section. Then enter the treaty exempt amount as negative amount (e.g. -5000) under Federal Taxes / Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income 1099A, 1099C / Other Reportable Income
  • Download and fill in a Form 8833 from IRS to claim an exception.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8833.pdf
  • You cannot e-file.  You can still use the TurboTax program to prepare your tax forms, but you need to print them out and submit by mail along with the form 8833. 

@JackK1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies